The Higgs Fake

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

marengo

The Higgs Fake

Unread post by marengo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:38 am

I recommend Alexander Unzicker's book 'The Higgs Fake'.
It is a follow up to his previous book 'Bankrupting Physics'.

Basically he is saying that that the LHC physicists have discovered nothing, yet they have been awarded a Nobel prize for it. He believes that Modern physics has not discovered any thing of value for the last 60 years or so. Theoretical physics exists to squeeze as much money out of the taxpayer as it can with little return for the money.

Unzicker is a professional physicist himself and knows what he is talking about.
Personally I think physics took the wrong direction back in the 19th century in ditching the Aether.
http://www.aetherpages.com
A series of scientific papers on the new Aether physics.

Sparky

Re: The Higgs Fake

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:51 am

I have yet to see or hear a logical explanation for what properties of a particle allow it to acquire mass from the Higgs field. :?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

marengo

Unread post by marengo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:44 am

I know little of the Higgs particle and how it is supposed to create mass.
The point to me is that I cannot imagine how it could possibly do it.
I have my own ideas on mass but they are very sketchy and might remain so.

Native

Unread post by Native » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:42 am

Hi,
Of course the Higgs-boson "graviton" is fake.

What creates mass and gives weight is naturally the electromagnetic binding forces with all kind of charges and polarities. Everywhere directionally moving atoms binds together, the electric energy turns to increasing angular magnetic momentum, thus decreasing the directional movement.

The Newton`s (people who thinks very heavy thoughts) (New-ton = weight, sic!) confuses energy with mass and since they don´t think electric and magnetic, the Newtons misses a lots of masses (dark of course) in the Universe.

Regarding the "Higgs Field" this could possibly be "the good Old Ether", which I believe is equal to the Microcosmic Background Radiation, CMB.

Once upon in a coming time, the standing Nobel Price Committee will get some very hot reed ears. (Has it happend before that the committee has cancelled and withdrawed a price?
Life makes senses and who could doubt it, if you have no doubt about it. - "Grooks" by Piet Hein - My fellow Danish countryman and also a Natural Philosopher

marengo

Unread post by marengo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:03 am

Mass = F/a. So a force field changes the velocity of a particle at a certain rate.
But relative to what is the velocity measured. If you measure it relative to an IRF there are an infinity of IRFs. So the velocity is not absolute and can be anything. Does this make a nonsense of acceleration and hence of mass?

Now if you believe in the Aether there is only one reference frame so this problem does not exist.
So what determines the velocity of a particle through the Aether? It can only be the geometry of the particle itself. So changing velocity means changing the geometry. How easy isit to change that geometry? That is what mass is.

I would appreciate comments.

303vegas

Unread post by 303vegas » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Things have mass because they exist and are physical. A single faether doesn't weigh much but as part of a swan it's integral to the heaviest flying bird. Why do they need to invent gibberish to 'explain' things that are very simple and straightforward? How many billion euros have been wasted on this nonsense?
love from lancashire!

Steve Smith

Unread post by Steve Smith » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:08 pm

According to nuclear physicists, a "force" is more like an exchange. When the strong force binds an atomic nucleus together, for example, the particles exchange "carrier particles," called bosons. Each force requires its own boson. It is the photon that supposedly carries the electromagnetic force, and "gluons" carry the strong force. An ongoing problem for physicists is the detection of "gravitons" that supposedly carry the gravitational force.

In 1964, Peter Higgs speculated that space is permeated by a "field," similar to an electromagnetic field. When particles travel through space, they encounter this field, acquiring "mass." The concept can be illustrated by particles moving through a viscous fluid: the greater interaction of particles with the field, the greater their mass. The existence of the Higgs field is an essential component of his hypothesis.

As previously mentioned, quantum theory requires that fields be associated with carrier particles, so the expectation is that there must be a particle carrying the Higgs field: the Higgs boson. For the last few years, LHC's focus has been to "find" the Higgs boson and determine if this mass origin hypothesis is correct.

Recently, physicists announced that LHC had shown hints that the Higgs-Boson was "real." However, experiments in the 145 billion to 466 billion electron volt range have excluded the boson's existence. As Dmitri Denisov of Fermilab said: "We do not see the signal. If it existed, we would see it. But when we look at our data, we basically see nothing."
IndisCERNible

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:04 am

When particles travel through space, they encounter this (Higgs)field, acquiring "mass."
;)

Got it~! ;)

errrr, maybe not... :oops:

What property of a particle allows it to acquire mass from the "Field"? :?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

bdw000

Unread post by bdw000 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:23 pm

I have only read a few pages of the book, and I love it. This guy does not seem to be pulling any punches here!

My guess is that most here would really like this book.

peter

Unread post by peter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:25 am

The LHC is an 11 billion dollars of wasted money.

When you "Bang" two protons together with very high energy you do not break them apart. You just create an array of massive particles that quickly decay back into the fundamental particle - the proton and Electromagnetic energy. (E=Mc2)

There is no sub structure to the proton - its even doubtful that it should (along with the electron) be even considered a particle

Michael V

Unread post by Michael V » Mon May 19, 2014 12:29 pm

peter,

[quote"peter"]There is no sub structure to the proton - its even doubtful that it should (along with the electron) be even considered a particle[/quote]
What should it be considered then?.

Michael

Zendo

Unread post by Zendo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:11 am

Just read the book. It was really interesting and definitely recommended if you want to get a look at what goes on behind the gates of high energy particle physics. My only qualm is that the authors arguments got a bit repetitive in the end.

I think the most important points he brought up was the increasing number of free parameters needed to explain the standard model, the fact that the hierarchy problem is yet to be solved, that there could quite possibly errors in the thousands of lines of code used in the computational analysis of the signatures and the lack of openness when it comes to the raw data being churned out by the LHC; because according to CERN the amount of data being gathered, which no doubt is in the petabyte range, would not make sense to anything but their systems.

He also talked a lot about an unnatural amount of consensus among the CERN scientists. Out of the thousands of scientists working there, there seems (to the outside at least) to be no internal friction when it comes to new discoveries.

querious

Unread post by querious » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Sparky wrote:I have yet to see or hear a logical explanation for what properties of a particle allow it to acquire mass from the Higgs field. :?
The properties specifically are the weak isopin and weak hypercharge. A left-chiral electron interacts with the Higgs field by dumping off it's -1/2 unit of weak isopin (T3)

JHL

Unread post by JHL » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Repurposing the LHC; keeping the funding flowing (one presumes):
"Researchers at the Large Hadron Collider are saying that they are on the verge of detecting a new particle which is much more interesting than the Higgs boson.

[...]

"Prof Beate Heinemann, a researcher at UC, Berkeley and spokeswoman for the Atlas experiment, one of the big particle detectors at the LHC, said 'It could be as early as this year. Summer may be a bit hard but late summer maybe, if we’re really lucky,'

"'We hope that we’re just now at this threshold that we’re finding another world, like antimatter for instance. We found antimatter in the beginning of the last century. Maybe we’ll find now supersymmetric matter.'

[...]

"'This would rock the world,' said Prof Heinemann. 'For me, it’s more exciting than the Higgs.'

"This is an ecstatic moment since science in general will have a much deeper understanding of dark matter along with the detection of the first ever superparticle.

"Dr Michael Williams, from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said: 'We sometimes talk about the dark matter particle, but it’s perfectly plausible that dark matter is just as interesting as [normal] matter, [which] has a lot of particles that we know about.'

“'There might be just as many dark matter particles, or even more.'

“'Finding any particle that could be a dark matter candidate is nice because we could start to understand how it affects the galaxy and the evolution of the universe, but it also opens the door to whatever is on the other side, which we have no idea what is there.'"
(Emphasis mine.) It's hard not to snigger, just a little.

http://www.microcapobserver.com/large-h ... ed/236182/

saul

Unread post by saul » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:05 am