Quantum Computing

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Sparky

Quantum Computing

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 am

A quantum bit..

At about 5min. it is stated that an electron can change spin by the freq. applied.
44.9 ghz or 45.02ghz determines spin. I'm lost. Same electron, same magnetic field, but different freq. flips electron differently. :?

What is the electron "seeing" in those different freq. that makes it flip to a certain state?

thanks..
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

D_Archer

Re: Quantum Computing

Unread post by D_Archer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:56 am

Quantum computing is hocus pocus, how do you call it when you chase something that can never be reached? That is what quantum computing is.

As for the electron, that is a matter of perception is it not?

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

chrimony

Unread post by chrimony » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:16 am

D_Archer wrote:Quantum computing is hocus pocus, how do you call it when you chase something that can never be reached? That is what quantum computing is.
What does that even mean? As for quantum computing, it's been demonstrated in the lab. The problem is they've been having enormous difficulty in scaling it up to something useful.

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks for input.... ;)
Does anyone know what they are talking about? :?
At about 5min. it is stated that an electron can change spin by the freq. applied.
44.9 ghz or 45.02ghz determines spin. I'm lost. Same electron, same magnetic field, but different freq. flips electron differently. :?

What is the electron "seeing" in those different freq. that makes it flip to a certain state?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Jupiter05085

Unread post by Jupiter05085 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:39 am

Hi Sparky,
Quantum physics is science about probabilities and "quantum" computer will probably work.
I have no idea what they are talking about:
The spin of the particle is an intrinsic property of the particle (1/2 for electron) and could not be change.
Probably they are talking about orbital angular momentum? Again quantum physics said that possible values for electron angular momentum are: -L, -L+1,...,-1,0,1,...,L where L is orbital quantum number. No such thing as "2 possible positions" again.
Probably they are not talking about electron, but atom as a whole? - very confusing.
Anyway they are not talking about computer at all - they are talking about memory. There is no possibility to build computer using only storage device, you still CPU (that's the computer) and some logic. It is absolutely not clear to me how it is possible to build CPU based on idea provided.
Thank you.

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:42 am

chrimony wrote:
D_Archer wrote:Quantum computing is hocus pocus, how do you call it when you chase something that can never be reached? That is what quantum computing is.
What does that even mean? As for quantum computing, it's been demonstrated in the lab. The problem is they've been having enormous difficulty in scaling it up to something useful.
That quantum computing is not quantum computing. It is a pipe dream.

The future of CPU is very much different.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

Michael V

Unread post by Michael V » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:05 pm

D_Archer,
D_Archer wrote:That quantum computing is not quantum computing. It is a pipe dream.
Quite right. That computing has been achieved, "in the lab" is not the issue. The issue is whether said computing demonstrations are any different to other techniques or whether they are gazillions of times faster than standard techniques. Well, they are not faster, they "are not quantum computing". The myth of quantum computing, and quantum weirdness generally, is nothing more than magic and superstition creeping back into science and reason.

Michael

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:34 pm

I really wanted to know about electrons flipping from being hit by certain frequencies. :?

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:48 pm

Sparky » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:34 pm

I really wanted to know about electrons flipping from being hit by certain frequencies.

Yes, if there is a 'resonance' present, i.e. EM 'coupling'

ESR/EPR
Furthermore, EPR spectra can be generated by either varying the photon frequency incident on a sample while holding the magnetic field constant or doing the reverse. In practice, it is usually the frequency that is kept fixed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_p ... _resonance

Spin resonance
From quantum theory, a photon of frequency (i.e., energy) matching the energy difference of an electron in a uniform field with spin up or down can cause its spin to flip. This experiment provides learners the opportunity to reconcile the quantum effect of electron (proton) spin resonance with classical mechanics. When the frequency of the second magnetic field (analogous to the electromagnetic radiation or photon) is close to the precession frequency (analogous to the spin of the electron in a magnetic field), the magnetic axis of the ball will flip to oppose the main magnetic field (resonance).
http://project-physicsteaching.web.cern ... ce-qrg.pdf

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:45 am

seasmith wrote:
Sparky » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:34 pm

I really wanted to know about electrons flipping from being hit by certain frequencies.

Yes, if there is a 'resonance' present, i.e. EM 'coupling'

ESR/EPR
Furthermore, EPR spectra can be generated by either varying the photon frequency incident on a sample while holding the magnetic field constant or doing the reverse. In practice, it is usually the frequency that is kept fixed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_p ... _resonance

Spin resonance
From quantum theory, a photon of frequency (i.e., energy) matching the energy difference of an electron in a uniform field with spin up or down can cause its spin to flip. This experiment provides learners the opportunity to reconcile the quantum effect of electron (proton) spin resonance with classical mechanics. When the frequency of the second magnetic field (analogous to the electromagnetic radiation or photon) is close to the precession frequency (analogous to the spin of the electron in a magnetic field), the magnetic axis of the ball will flip to oppose the main magnetic field (resonance).
http://project-physicsteaching.web.cern ... ce-qrg.pdf
Thanks, seasmith! I read, but it was very techi , and required previous skills in math.... :?

I kinda understand resonance. ;) I had a 305 honda super hawk. I would shift at 9 thousand rpm. :shock: There was a bolt with some space between the nut and the end, which had a cotter pin. At idle the nut would remain in. I could rev the engine and the nut would unscrew out to the cotter pin . :D Let off the revs and the nut would screw back in...Simple amusement for a simple mind... ;)

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 am

I read, but it was very techi , and required previous skills in math.
Hi Sparky, It's basically Number, the math is optional.

I admit it can be a bit challenging to try and visualize correlations in a field so rarified as electro-photonics, but analogous resonances have been amply studied for centuries using ponderable devices such as tuning forks, pipe organs and the like.

Much of the basic mechanics and principles were assembled by H. Helmholtz in his classic,
"On the Sensations of Tone"

(and timbre)