Simple Games for Science

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Lloyd

Re: Simple Games for Science

Unread post by Lloyd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:14 pm

That's funny, Brigit, the Nite-Ox in Hi-Heels etc. I had tried making a little story for each ten elements, but I think the matching game is simpler and better. But it's worth experimenting.

You must be rich to have 19 sets of encyclopedias. I'd like to see video games that have role-playing a real or fictitious character include tests of knowledge as part of the game. It could involve playing a card matching game for a few minutes.

If you develop your castle elements game, let us have a look at it. Okay?

Brigit Bara

Unread post by Brigit Bara » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:19 pm

I am not able to show you just now, but when they practice drawing the table on paper with the right number of columns and squares, it looks like a castle. Didn't you ever notice that? (; Just add some flags on each end.

Then they fill in the chemical symbols they learned on your game, and poof! A periodic table. The girls did a bunch of them last week. So this is all with pencil and paper.

I am pretty happy with it but they need to work down just a little further on five or six groups -- 9, 10, 11, 12, 17 & 18.

And perhaps if I am successful my children will not grow up to be ditzes and dolts who want to ban everything.
“Oh for shame, how these mortals put the blame upon us gods, for they say evils come from us, when it is they rather who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given…”
~Homer

Zyxzevn

Unread post by Zyxzevn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:34 pm

http://universesandbox.com/

But with plasma and electricity.
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@

Brigit Bara

Unread post by Brigit Bara » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Lloyd, any further efforts on your next game, or a game-within-a-game?

We still use the Elements game, and thank you!
The Digital Natives finished fall quarter at college. They got straight As, so they both took on more classes. So I really do not see them as much as I would like for homeschooling.

PS I thought I would share this. My son is writing his own language, and wanted to generate a mandelbrot with it:

I think he started talking about those when he was 9! He wants to finish the language before he turns 18. The other Native started a comic book which she has been updating once a week.

Not terribly OT, because it goes to the efficacy of home schooling and the use of computers in education. (:
“Oh for shame, how these mortals put the blame upon us gods, for they say evils come from us, when it is they rather who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given…”
~Homer

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi Brigit. The website where I made the matching games doesn't seem to have them available any longer, so I got frustrated with that site. I don't know if I'll find another place online to do them again. But, since you know how the games are made, you can always expand on what the cards show. Like for the elements you could include the most common isotopes, the atomic weights, what common objects are contain each element etc.

If you tell me what anyone wants to learn, I'm willing to participate in mindstorming for game ideas for that.

I'd like to learn terms in geology, astronomy etc. I'm starting with classification of minerals. There are said to be over 3,000 different minerals, so classes of minerals seem to be what to learn first.

Terms in biology & health would be good to know too.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 pm

I see that Quizlet does still have my flash cards after all. The 100 elements set is at https://quizlet.com/225135757/100-elements-flash-cards/

And the rest of my sets are at https://quizlet.com/lkindr

Zyxzevn

Unread post by Zyxzevn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:52 am

Someone made a game to play with electromagnetism in 3D:
Coulombic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzUWMpP99DY
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@