College - Learning or Indoctrination?

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

neilwilkes

Re: College - Learning or Indoctrination?

Unread post by neilwilkes » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:33 am

D_Archer wrote:
mightyno17 wrote:
orrery wrote:Also,I find interesting the two of you suggested chemistry as an alternative to EE, why is that so?
Chemistry also encompasses electrochemistry, this is relatable to electrical comets and star chemistry and planetary chemistry (ie phsysics/astrophysics). I think you do not get plasma chemistry that much, but maybe there are relatable courses or later specializations.

And in general chemistry is about material knowledge, most of its foundations are rooted in practical experiments not theory. A good chemistry background is helpful in understanding the material world.

Regards,
Daniel
What Daniel said, with the following addendum:
I have had discussions with so-called physicists about Neutron Stars being impossible on the grounds that any object consisting entirely of Neutrons would fall outside the chemical band of stability and as such would decay almost immediately into separate particles - in short, no Neutron Stars as they are chemically impossible.
The response? "we're not talking about chemistry, we are talking about Physics"
Unreal.
You will never get a man to understand something his salary depends on him not understanding.