Recovered: Is the universe a living organism?

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

bboyer

Re: Recovered: Is the universe a living organism?

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:42 am

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:19 pm Post subject:
OP "Michael Mozina"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pfhoenix wrote:"Train wreck" is a phrase that definitively applies to this thread. It should also have not been started in this part of the forum.

I completely disagree. There have been enough "taboo" topics on other astronomy forums to last a lifetime. This question is a natural and legitimate scientific question and it deserves to be treated like any other scientific topic.
The EU model does not in any way mean that the universe is alive.

True. EU theory only predicts the presence of electrical current in the universe. One can embrace EU theory without embracing theism in any way. Where you take your ideas from there is your own business.
Electricity is a purely mechanical process; consciousness is not.

We don't really know what consciousness is, we only know it involves the flow of electrical current through relatively stable physical structures. The universe posses both current and structure.
To make the statement that astronomers (or scientists in general) shouldn't be atheist

Technically I didn't say that, that's what you "interpreted" from my statement. I only noted that statistically speaking, astronomy is one of the most "atheistic" areas of science. I only note this fact because I believe it has some influence on what astronomers are willing to hear as it relates to electrical universe theory.
is like saying "only God knows the Truth". You make plain your personal bias

I did in fact make plain my own biases on the topic. Then again simply answering yes or no to this question does in fact reveal one's biases.
and demonstrate an inability for critical thought.

How so? Am I not welcome to my opinion on that topic?
When I discovered Eric Lerner's book, I didn't find my "meaning of life issues" challenged in any way. Substituting one faith for another doesn't get you anywhere (just look at all the technological progress that the BBT has lead to, i.e. none).

I will willingly grant you that one need not have "faith" in God to put faith in EU theory. They are separate concepts. There is however a natural scientific question that comes from noticing that the universe is electrical in nature, just like our brains. One cannot help but ask the legitimate scientific question about whether or no the universe itself is alive. It is a legitimate scientific question that deserves a legitimate scientific answer and legitimate scientific debate.
The universe itself is neither alive nor aware. It simply Is.

That is your personal opinion, and it's one I do not not share with you. It's ok however since EU theory can and should be scientifically embraced, even if our biases on the topic of the nature of the universe cannot be settled in this moment.
This is the sort of thing that people interested in the EU model need to be wary of - pseudoscience finding a new jacket of plasma physics.

I've seen EU theory labeled "pseudoscience" for long enough now that I find your use of that term to be hollow and devoid of meaning. Whether or not the universe is "aware" remains to be seen. What can be shown scientifically at this point in time is that the universe is "electrical" in nature, and has "structures" in it that look remarkably like structures in living tissues in the microcosmic world.
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:43 am

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:40 am Post subject:
OP "Discipline"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Mozina,

I am atheistic and I find EU very interesting. So I don’t see why EU leads to the question of “meaning of life”. It does lead to some interesting insights into the origin of life and other such complex issues. Yet, to me I have yet to find anything to lead me to religion when dealing with EU.

I can understand why people are prone to the idea of a creator or spirituality. Humans are really good at seeing patterns and also placing their own observations of realities onto other things. People see all kinds of things that they are naturally configured to notice, such as faces in rocks or animals in star formations. It is a correlation of human innate pattern recognition and also applying subjective thoughts to a non-subjective subject.

I have no evidence in either way to prove anything, just that I tend to think EU does not necessarily lead to belief or spirituality. At least not for me.
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:44 am

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:51 am Post subject: Is the Universe .....
OP "SeaSmith"

We don't understand (maybe can't) what consciousness / awareness is and we don't understand what the Universe is;
so we can not say that the Universe is, or is not conscious or aware.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:50 am

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:49 pm Post subject:
OP "Pfhoenix"

Michael Mozina wrote:I completely disagree. There have been enough "taboo" topics on other astronomy forums to last a lifetime. This question is a natural and legitimate scientific question and it deserves to be treated like any other scientific topic.

I didn't say the topic was taboo. I stated the simple fact that the Electric Universe part of the forum is the wrong place for this thread - it belongs in New Insights and Mad Ideas. <MOD NOTE: Thread was originally posted in the Electric Universe section and has been recovered to The Human Question section>
Michael Mozina wrote:We don't really know what consciousness is, we only know it involves the flow of electrical current through relatively stable physical structures. The universe posses both current and structure.

Is a bar magnet alive? Is the universe an apple? Superficial similarities do not lead to underlying similarities. It is a massive leap of faith to think that the universe itself is alive simply because it is filled with plasma and electric currents.
Michael Mozina wrote:Technically I didn't say that, that's what you "interpreted" from my statement. I only noted that statistically speaking, astronomy is one of the most "atheistic" areas of science. I only note this fact because I believe it has some influence on what astronomers are willing to hear as it relates to electrical universe theory.

That's very disingenuous of you. You didn't simply write that astronomy was filled with atheists, you said that the problem with astronomy is that it's filled with atheists, thereby applying a negative connotation to your statement. I think of dogmatic zealotism in science, and I'm reminded of epicycles and the persecution of Galileo, not greater expansion of understanding and technological development. You can keep your theism, thank you.
Michael Mozina wrote:
Pfhoenix wrote:and demonstrate an inability for critical thought.
How so? Am I not welcome to my opinion on that topic?

Your opinion does not critical thinking make.
Michael Mozina wrote:I will willingly grant you that one need not have "faith" in God to put faith in EU theory. They are separate concepts. There is however a natural scientific question that comes from noticing that the universe is electrical in nature, just like our brains. One cannot help but ask the legitimate scientific question about whether or no the universe itself is alive. It is a legitimate scientific question that deserves a legitimate scientific answer and legitimate scientific debate.

I don't "put faith" into anything. The EU model not only provides a rational explanation for things otherwise unexplainable, it also provides a very powerful predictive method for future phenomena. With respect to the universe being "alive", calling it a "legitimate" question doesn't mean it's a scientific one. I could equally ask the "legitimate" question of why the sun doesn't have a ring of sausages around it inside the orbit of Mercury. Your definition of legitimate does not equate to scientific. "One cannot help" - BS. You can help it; you simply choose to believe in fanciful potentials that have no counterpart in reality.
Michael Mozina wrote:
Pfhoenix wrote:This is the sort of thing that people interested in the EU model need to be wary of - pseudoscience finding a new jacket of plasma physics.
I've seen EU theory labeled "pseudoscience" for long enough now that I find your use of that term to be hollow and devoid of meaning. Whether or not the universe is "aware" remains to be seen. What can be shown scientifically at this point in time is that the universe is "electrical" in nature, and has "structures" in it that look remarkably like structures in living tissues in the microcosmic world.

So, if I use the word "building" often enough, it'll lose its meaning? Again, I call BS - you simply don't like the term being applied to a pet theory of yours. Whether the universe is alive or not does not, in fact, remain to be seen. It isn't something you can actually prove. It is because of the behavior of plasmas and electric currents that living tissues work the way they do, not the other way around.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:54 am

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:57 pm Post subject:
OP "Michael Mozina"

Discipline wrote:Michael Mozina,

I am atheistic and I find EU very interesting.

That's great. As I already acknowledged EU theory and theism are separate issues.
So I don’t see why EU leads to the question of “meaning of life”.

One can't help but note the fact that current flow and structure is what gives rise to awareness in living beings. "Is the universe alive?" seems like a perfectly logical and legitimate scientific question that one might ask themselves once they realize that the universe is electric.
It does lead to some interesting insights into the origin of life and other such complex issues. Yet, to me I have yet to find anything to lead me to religion when dealing with EU.

I'm not particularly very religious myself, nor do I see anything in EU theory that particularly supports any specific religion. IMO however, EU theory does open up the scientific possibility that the universe is alive and aware. It is a scientific possibility.
I can understand why people are prone to the idea of a creator or spirituality. Humans are really good at seeing patterns and also placing their own observations of realities onto other things. People see all kinds of things that they are naturally configured to notice, such as faces in rocks or animals in star formations. It is a correlation of human innate pattern recognition and also applying subjective thoughts to a non-subjective subject.

Those images of neurons in a brain create "patterns" that look like the patterns we find in the universe alright. Those neurons in a brain create patterns for current to flow in predictable and reliable ways. I see no reason to believe it works any differently on a macro scale.

I don't really wish to debate the merits of theism/atheism with you. It's good enough for me that you're open to EU theory, with or without any theistic beliefs on your part. I'm only interested in the issue "scientifically". It is a legitimate question IMO, and it deserves scientific study.
I have no evidence in either way to prove anything, just that I tend to think EU does not necessarily lead to belief or spirituality. At least not for me.

I understand that. I fully recognize that one can be an atheist and embrace EU theory, or be a theist and embrace standard theory. There is however a natural question that comes from realizing that current flows through the structures of spacetime, just as they flow through our bodies. IMO if humans will ever find empirical evidence of the existence of an intelligent creator, it will be found in the patterns of energy that flow through the universe itself.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:00 am

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:20 pm Post subject:
OP "Michael Mozina"

Pfhoenix wrote:I didn't say the topic was taboo. I stated the simple fact that the Electric Universe part of the forum is the wrong place for this thread - it belongs in New Insights and Mad Ideas.

It hardly seems like a new insight nor is it a mad idea from my perspective. Einstein entertained the concept of "an illimitable superior spirit" that reveals itself through nature" many years ago even without any knowledge of EU theory. Spinoza's concept of "God" has been around a long time. It seems to me it is simply a natural question that one might ask themselves, and it's a legitimate scientific question.
Is a bar magnet alive?

Why would you compare a bar magnet to something with trillions of interlaced electrical circuits? A more relevant question would be "Is a brain "alive"?
Is the universe an apple? Superficial similarities do not lead to underlying similarities.

Then again, you have no evidence that any of the similarities of structures in the universe to biological structures here on earth is in any way "superficial".
It is a massive leap of faith to think that the universe itself is alive simply because it is filled with plasma and electric currents.

It's also a leap of faith for you to think that the universe is a dead and sterile environment. It is a leap of faith for you to assume that the similarities to biological structures are "superficial" in any way. That was your own little personal leap of faith.
That's very disingenuous of you. You didn't simply write that astronomy was filled with atheists, you said that the problem with astronomy is that it's filled with atheists, thereby applying a negative connotation to your statement.

I just noted that atheism complicates the issue for some individuals (not all). Not only are their scientific beliefs being blown apart by EU theory, but their ideological beliefs about the universe also become open to scrutiny. It can be a "problem" if one's ideological values get in the way of one's better scientific judgement. I think you might be able to make a valid reverse argument as well. A theist might cling to BB theory only because it jives with their religious beliefs. (let there be light).
I think of dogmatic zealotism in science, and I'm reminded of epicycles and the persecution of Galileo, not greater expansion of understanding and technological development. You can keep your theism, thank you.

And you're welcome to remain an atheist if you like as well. I do however believe that EU theory naturally leads to theological questions about the origins of life and the meaning of life in our universe.
Your opinion does not critical thinking make.

Nor does your personal opinion represent "critical thinking". It's an act of faith at best case. You evidently have faith that these are superficial similarities. I do not share your faith in that belief.
I don't "put faith" into anything.

So you have scientific evidence that the similarities are all "superficial"?
The EU model not only provides a rational explanation for things otherwise unexplainable, it also provides a very powerful predictive method for future phenomena.

Obviously we agree on that point.
With respect to the universe being "alive", calling it a "legitimate" question doesn't mean it's a scientific one.

It certainly is a valid scientific question.
I could equally ask the "legitimate" question of why the sun doesn't have a ring of sausages around it inside the orbit of Mercury.

That's not even a legitimate comparison. If we saw evidence of electrical current running through a working brain, we might ask ourselves if those electrical currents we observe, and those structures we observe give rise to that person's awareness. That would be a legitimate scientific question based on what we observe. It would not be a scientific argument to ask if those electrical currents creates sausage rings around the neurons in the brain.
Your definition of legitimate does not equate to scientific.

Boloney. You simply don't like the implication of the question because you are *assuming* that the brain we are observing has no awareness in it. You refuse to entertain that idea because it goes against what you believe to be true.
"One cannot help" - BS. You can help it; you simply choose to believe in fanciful potentials that have no counterpart in reality.

Awareness, thought and life, are known to exist in reality. They are driven by electrical currents running through physical structures. There is nothing "unreal" in what I proposed. You have never demonstrated that my beliefs are "BS". You simply have "faith" in your opinions on that topic.
So, if I use the word "building" often enough, it'll lose its meaning?

What?
Again, I call BS - you simply don't like the term being applied to a pet theory of yours.

I don't like you *assuming* that things are "BS" when you have no idea if that is true. That's no better than a standard Big Banger claiming that EU theory is "BS" only because they don't like the idea.
Whether the universe is alive or not does not, in fact, remain to be seen.

You have scientific evidence that it is not alive and not aware?
It isn't something you can actually prove.

You can't "prove" it's dead or lifeless either.
It is because of the behavior of plasmas and electric currents that living tissues work the way they do, not the other way around.

I agree with that statement actually. I don't however see how it helps your argument one bit.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:03 am

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:15 pm Post subject:
OP "Michael Mozina"

Pfhoenix wrote:It is a massive leap of faith to think that the universe itself is alive simply because it is filled with plasma and electric currents.

It's not that massive a leap of faith when you see how plasmas behave in space. I'm not the only person to entertain the idea either. Did you see this particular article?

http://space.newscientist.com/channel/a ... -dust.html

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:06 am

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:01 pm Post subject:
OP "Discipline"

One can't help but note the fact that current flow and structure is what gives rise to awareness in living beings. "Is the universe alive?" seems like a perfectly logical and legitimate scientific question that one might ask themselves once they realize that the universe is electric.

Electricity is important to sustain life. This is correct but the chemical combinations and protein structures must be just right to do so or else you have nothing.

When I am in the lab working on a circuit I have yet to discover my newly designed amplifier to be “alive” in a literal sense. It is electrically active with current flow and power dissipation. But it has not lead to me discovering it has developed any characteristic that is intrinsic to life. I would say that is because of the elements I am dealing with. I am dealing with metals, semiconductors, and insulators all of which do not have the proper chemical interactions and fluid abilities to produce life. They do what I want them to do and amplify a given input signal.
I'm not particularly very religious myself, nor do I see anything in EU theory that particularly supports any specific religion. IMO however, EU theory does open up the scientific possibility that the universe is alive and aware. It is a scientific possibility.

By the same token you could say the conventional sense opens science to the possibility that the universe is alive by their acknowledgement of gravitational interactions. But I would not even suggest that unless there were solid observations that lead to such a hypothesis.

The big reason I find plasma cosmology interesting is because of its observations and not its theoretical assumptions. They make clear connections between what is observed and what is known and not assumptions. That is my big disagreement with a theistic look on the universe.
Those images of neurons in a brain create "patterns" that look like the patterns we find in the universe alright. Those neurons in a brain create patterns for current to flow in predictable and reliable ways. I see no reason to believe it works any differently on a macro scale.

I would agree with that. However, the picture that was displayed was one of what is assumed to be the effects of dark matter, which in EU terms are actually plasma filaments.

You can understand that neurons are designed to take advantage of the best possible means of transmitting electric flow. However, the structure of the material is different. One is proteins and another is a conductive gas. There are similarities in terms of electrical effects but not in elemental components.
I don't really wish to debate the merits of theism/atheism with you. It's good enough for me that you're open to EU theory, with or without any theistic beliefs on your part. I'm only interested in the issue "scientifically". It is a legitimate question IMO, and it deserves scientific study.

But you posted on the subject of atheism being problematic to astronomy. Thus you opened debate by simply posting it.

I truly don’t care if someone is religious or not, if they can provide results that have merit they should not be judged by a side note of their religious standings.

I am not denying that the idea of theism should be resisted, but as a whole EU is not based on a religions foundation. It is based on an electrical one.

I also don’t see why electricity equates life. There is far more that goes into life than just electricity. Just because we see one component of life does not mean it is life. It is like stating that if I see the same elements that are used to produce protein that there is life. You must look at all the given issues and determine from there.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:11 am

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:01 pm Post subject:
OP "Michael Mozina"

Discipline wrote:Electricity is important to sustain life. This is correct but the chemical combinations and protein structures must be just right to do so or else you have nothing.

Likewise, I'm sure that the "structures" and elements that make up any aware "being" must be just right to sustain life, even the macro variety.
When I am in the lab working on a circuit I have yet to discover my newly designed amplifier to be “alive” in a literal sense.

I doubt you often work with amplifiers containing hundreds of trillions of interlaced circuits.
It is electrically active with current flow and power dissipation. But it has not lead to me discovering it has developed any characteristic that is intrinsic to life. I would say that is because of the elements I am dealing with. I am dealing with metals, semiconductors, and insulators all of which do not have the proper chemical interactions and fluid abilities to produce life. They do what I want them to do and amplify a given input signal.

Ok. Then again, when we're talking about an amplifier, we're talking about a limited circuit that is designed to do a particular function. What does the universe do?
By the same token you could say the conventional sense opens science to the possibility that the universe is alive by their acknowledgement of gravitational interactions. But I would not even suggest that unless there were solid observations that lead to such a hypothesis.
Well, even the presence of gravity (cohesion) in the system does make the idea a scientific possibility, but more than gravity alone would be required to sustain an aware life form. Physically stable "structures" and "current flows" are also necessary to sustain life and awareness as we understand it.
The big reason I find plasma cosmology interesting is because of its observations and not its theoretical assumptions. They make clear connections between what is observed and what is known and not assumptions. That is my big disagreement with a theistic look on the universe.
I favor plasma cosmology theory/ EU theory because it requires no faith in anything 'metaphysical'. EU theory however does make some "assumptions" about the universe, just like any other theory. (strong) Atheists tend to make "assumptions" about the makeup of the universe and even weak atheists sometimes hold "opinions" that they can't justify with empirical evidence.
I would agree with that. However, the picture that was displayed was one of what is assumed to be the effects of dark matter, which in EU terms are actually plasma filaments.

Those plasma filaments are nearly perfect conductors of electricity and their arrangement looks remarkably similar to structures that exist in life forms here on earth. Why? Why should I "assume" that the universe is not also a life form? Don't life forms come in various sizes here on earth?
You can understand that neurons are designed to take advantage of the best possible means of transmitting electric flow. However, the structure of the material is different. One is proteins and another is a conductive gas. There are similarities in terms of electrical effects but not in elemental components.

As far as I know those EU filaments we see are composed of the same exact elements as the elements we find here on earth, and the elements that make up our physical forms.

quote[]But you posted on the subject of atheism being problematic to astronomy. Thus you opened debate by simply posting it. [/quote]

Obviously in your case, your personal opinions on the topic of God have absolutely no influence on your interest in EU theory. Atheism is clearly not problematic for you personally as it relates to the science of astronomy. Everyone is an individual.

FYI, my "concern" about "personal influences" could easily work the other way around as well. It's possible that a theist individual might favor BB theory because it contains a "creation event" that jives with their personal religious beliefs, not because there is evidence of inflation and/or dark things.
I truly don’t care if someone is religious or not, if they can provide results that have merit they should not be judged by a side note of their religious standings.

But I'm not "judging" you personally. I simply mused over the possibility that some astronomers might be influenced by their personal biases.
I am not denying that the idea of theism should be resisted,

Theism in it's purest sense should be resisted? Why? Einstein didn't seem to resist the idea of an "illimitable superior spirit that reveals itself through nature." Why should I resist that idea?
but as a whole EU is not based on a religions foundation. It is based on an electrical one.

I fully agree with that statement.
I also don’t see why electricity equates life.

I know see why electricity sustains life either, but somehow it does.
There is far more that goes into life than just electricity.

Sure, it takes "structure" and it involves/requires "awareness". What physical property of atoms gives rise to awareness? How and why do even single celled animals hunt for food?
Just because we see one component of life does not mean it is life. It is like stating that if I see the same elements that are used to produce protein that there is life. You must look at all the given issues and determine from there.

We observe many components of life in the physical macro universe. It contains intricately organized structures, it posses current flows and it is composed of all the same elements that we posses. I have no evidence that the universe is a dead or sterile thing, and I see lots of evidence that it is electrically active and perhaps even "aware". You may not agree with my brand of theism but our personal views about God seem to have no influence on our attraction to EU theory. I think we both would agree that anything "metaphysical" should be avoided (like inflation and dark things) , but I'm not proposing anything "metaphysical" unless you consider awareness to be "metaphysical". Note however that awareness is known to exist in "reality", whereas no astronomer has ever demonstrated that inflation or dark stuff actually exists in reality. In that sense, my theistic views are nowhere near as metaphysical as standard astronomical theory.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:16 am

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:13 am Post subject:
OP "Discipline"

I doubt you often work with amplifiers containing hundreds of trillions of interlaced circuits.

True, I don’t. But even if I did would it matter? They would all speak to each other by frequencies and voltages that were induced externally, not because they are alive but because their system is designed to do so by a given input.
Ok. Then again, when we're talking about an amplifier, we're talking about a limited circuit that is designed to do a particular function. What does the universe do?

From an EU point of view the universe creates charge separations and induces flux that causes other electrical reactions. The function of that is to act and react. I fail to see how this is not different than what is induced in a plasma lab. One is at a different scale but both are controlled by inputs and outputs. The universe is far vaster but the systems can still be boiled down to different scales.

Your argument, from what I gather, is that a human designed amplifier is by default an artificial product that is created for a specific result (this is true). If that cannot be applied to the universe then the universe fails to be a designed system. Yet there are space objects that tend to act like man made devices, such as stars acting like PNP transistors or planet atmospheres acting like capacitors. There are similarities but the design is not of intelligence just be the order of electrical nature.

Of course this might not be what you are suggesting.
Well, even the presence of gravity (cohesion) in the system does make the idea a scientific possibility, but more than gravity alone would be required to sustain an aware life form. Physically stable "structures" and "current flows" are also necessary to sustain life and awareness as we understand it.

True, but gravity plays a part in the structure of life as well. The pull of the moon, the deflection of cosmic rays by the atmosphere, the magnetic field, the structure of hydrogen bonding, and thousands of other characteristics lead to the ideal case for life. In deep space not every place you look will shelter such characteristics even with electrical effects.
I favor plasma cosmology theory/ EU theory because it requires no faith in anything 'metaphysical'. EU theory however does make some "assumptions" about the universe, just like any other theory.

I agree, but assumptions have to be backed by at least observations.
(strong) Atheists tend to make "assumptions" about the makeup of the universe and even weak atheists sometimes hold "opinions" that they can't justify with empirical evidence.

Yes, everyone has opinions and much of their opinions are unjustified by empirical evidence and some opinions are justified by experience.

So where do we draw the line? To me it does not matter as long as what is necessary for progress transpires.
Those plasma filaments are nearly perfect conductors of electricity and their arrangement looks remarkably similar to structures that exist in life forms here on earth. Why? Why should I "assume" that the universe is not also a life form? Don't life forms come in various sizes here on earth?

The correlation of plasma filaments and neuron interlaces does not give a solid hypothesis that they are both life forms. If they do then would plasma filaments have to be a part of a bigger life form because neurons are a specific piece of a multi-organized animal? That could be the case but it would have to come with much scrutiny because the critical observations of such a case would be lacking. Neurons are observed in multi-celled organisms with much detail and study. Plasma filaments might resemble them, just like craters resemble impacts, but you have to look at it from different perspectives and then test, observe, and debate.

Plasma is made up of many various elements. However their combinations are different, their molecule structures are different. Plasma is fluid and their atoms are partially ionized making certain chemical reactions impossible. Neurons tend to be lightly ionized to conduct their electrical effects and are based off of organic compounds. Neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine are organic molecules that are seen in living matter and plasma is not shown to produce such molecules. Acetylcholine connects with sodium membranes to create sodium ions and thus create a current. There is no such chemical reaction of such type in plasma, just flowing ions and electrons which produce voltage differences.

Similar yes, but foundational structure is different and with diverse affects when dealing with other electrical traits.
Obviously in your case, your personal opinions on the topic of God have absolutely no influence on your interest in EU theory. Atheism is clearly not problematic for you personally as it relates to the science of astronomy. Everyone is an individual.

Yes, atheism is not problematic for me since it is my choice.

I am engaging you in banter. This is no different than the subject of evolution that many argue is religious but in truth can be boiled down to individuals of all belief systems who wish to make their solid cases but are subjected to side notes on religion or lack of religion.
But I'm not "judging" you personally. I simply mused over the possibility that some astronomers might be influenced by their personal biases.

I am aware you are not judging me. I am just chit chatting about how I think atheism is not the issue. I think it is educational dogma that is the issue. Things that are cast down as absolutes via generations lead to a stubborn lack of intrigue into what might lead to some interesting conclusions.
Theism in it's purest sense should be resisted? Why?

I miswrote what I meant to say. I apologize for that. I meant to say that religion should not be resisted or restricted. I have personal reasons for my lack of “faith”. I can, however, understand why religion or spirituality is important to most.
I know see why electricity sustains life either, but somehow it does.

True.
I think we both would agree that anything "metaphysical" should be avoided (like inflation and dark things) , but I'm not proposing anything "metaphysical" unless you consider awareness to be "metaphysical".

I agree on what you mean by metaphysics. But I cannot equate something to be aware if there are no signs of such a thing even if it flows electrically.

Awareness does exist and it is observable on a daily basis. Dark matter and black holes are not observed just theorized and then used to explain given space anomalies, hence why I am opened to alternative science.

So we can break this down to, religion does not matter in the investigation of EU. Now let's go discover!

Last edited by Discipline on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:17 am

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:56 am Post subject:
OP "mgmirkin"

Hmm, we seem to be getting into a bickering contest. Perhaps we can all step back for a moment, regroup, and come at it again. Anyway, the question's been asked. But no answers are readily available one way or the other. Either for sterility (the universe was once thought to be an electrically sterile vacuum; that notion was patently wrong on its face) or for life (circuits + electricity + similarity [superficial or otherwise] does not a lifeform make, per se).

I guess my point is simply, let's keep it civil and not spiral into a political or religious debate . Both tend to incite flame wars which are counter-productive (the conversation seems to have slightly devolved).

Cheers all,
~Michael Gmirkin

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:18 am

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:19 pm Post subject:
OP "Discipline"

mgmirkin,

Michael Mozina and I were not bickering. We were engaging in friendly banter. Neither of us resorted to name calling or any other childish attacks.

It was fun and I enjoyed it.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:19 am

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:32 pm Post subject: Just when we were getting to the good bits...
OP "davesmith_au"

Giday all.

I likewise have been enjoying the read. It has not become personal, both have been completely civil and whether or not it resolves the issue at hand, (which is highly unlikely, it is a BIG issue), it helps all here come to better understanding of the whole.

It is my observation that these two can agree to disagree politely on some matters, while coming to a common understanding on others.

Very mature and commendable, I say. That's my 2c worth, for what it's worth.

Cheers, Dave Smith.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:20 am

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:02 am Post subject:
OP "arc-us"

Agreed (ain't concensus grand?). One of the better conducted chit-chats. Enjoyed it.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:22 am

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:56 pm Post subject:
OP "Krackonis"

Michael Mozina wrote:
Krackonis wrote:I would think it is quite a possiblity:

To the left we have Neurons from a mouse, on the right, a Dark Matter Diagram...

IMO, part of the problem with astronomy today is that the field is dominated by atheists. It's a pity IMO.

The answer to that question IMO is "yes", the universe is certainly alive and aware of us, even if we are not aware of it.

How could faith :A belief given to you by someone else, ever help you become unbiased and reality based?

The Universe may ro may not be alive, That obviously remains to be seen. We can picture that as a matter of "scale" that we are inside the brain structure of an animal and that all we see in all directions are the interactions of it's biochemical processess, totally hypothetical, btw.

I'm not an athiest, I go with what I know. I know we were created. We were created by the universe, in some way, and we are attempting to understand what we are, what it is. That's about as much as anyone will ever say on it for a long long time.

All reigions in the world currently and all faiths are based off interpretations their minds made regarding the personifications of plasma in the heavens for even longer than we have had "history". All of their authority and divinity comes from what we grant them. I grant them no such leniency in my mind.

Using them, religions, to attain progress and enlightenment can only lead to a death of the most meaningless kind. One that is based on falsehoods and misinterpretations that have conglomerated to become a self-fulfilling power structure, and each area on the planet has it's own power structure fighting to dominate the minds they think "belong to them".

No one on earth could explain to an alien why we even do this, as Velikovsky says, revisit our trauma onto our children. At least with Plasma Cosmology we can begin to understand our own blossoming into subjective consciousness and begin to answer this truly daunting question.

Krackonis

"We are the universe, trying to understand itself."
- Delenn

Last edited by Krackonis on Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total