TPOD: Antartica's dry valleys and meteor crater similarities

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Ion01

TPOD: Antartica's dry valleys and meteor crater similarities

Unread post by Ion01 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:35 pm

When reading the article here:http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2008/ ... alleys.htm and particulary when looking at images such as this: http://www.rosssea.info/pix/big/Dolerti ... rn_Ant.jpg I was quickly reminded of some images I had taken at the "meteor" crater in arizona. I was there about a month and a half ago on my honeymoon and took numerous pictures of not just the cater but the face of rocks which were pointed inwards toward the crater. The rocks had a melted look to them predominantly on the face pointed towards the crater. This was an obvious sign of not just intense heat but a heat that was present after the crater was created because if the heat that created this was only during the creation of the crater as rocks were tossed about then this would not be seen predominantly on the face pointing towards the crater. Most of all it was evidence to me that this was not an impact! Anyways, it was really neat and I took some good pictures so hopefully you can see the similarities. (P.S. while we were there I obviously was explaining to my wife how the the crater was actually formed and all the evidence against it being an impact. I was sure to talk loudly and clearly so anyone around could hear and not be crushed under the dogma and control of facts and evidence as seen in museum there.) ;)

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: TPOD: Antartica's dry valleys and meteor crater similarities

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Clearly erosion caused by rain and wind...

*Can't even remove my tongue from my cheek it's planted so firmly*

Cheers, Dave Smith.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Ion01

Unread post by Ion01 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 am

How do you figure its just erosion from rain? There are numerous rock of equal size ourside of the crater which do not show the same charactoristics. If it was just rain erosion then we should see the same on these rocks.
Also, the redish rock is grainy but it is solid and does not crumble like a sandrock or something.
meteor_0603_010_600x450.jpg
Here is a picture of a meteor stored in the museum at meteor crater. It is nickel–iron. It looks to have the same structures on its surface. Would you say this is weathering too?
Last edited by davesmith_au on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Resized and uploaded the image, the linked one was way too large - DS

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Ion01 wrote:How do you figure its just erosion from rain? There are numerous rock of equal size ourside of the crater which do not show the same charactoristics. If it was just rain erosion then we should see the same on these rocks.
Also, the redish rock is grainy but it is solid and does not crumble like a sandrock or something.
<snip>
Here is a picture of a meteor stored in the museum at meteor crater. It is nickel–iron. It looks to have the same structures on its surface. Would you say this is weathering too?
Giday Ion01, sorry to get your burners going but I was just joking!! I know sarcasm is said to be the lowest form of wit, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

You'll notice I said "*Can't even remove my tongue from my cheek it's planted so firmly*" - this means my comment was tongue in cheek, that is to say, not serious, sarcastic, a joke...

Very nice pic by the way.

Cheers, Dave Smith.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Ion01

Unread post by Ion01 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:17 am

Giday Ion01, sorry to get your burners going but I was just joking!! I know sarcasm is said to be the lowest form of wit, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

You'll notice I said "*Can't even remove my tongue from my cheek it's planted so firmly*" - this means my comment was tongue in cheek, that is to say, not serious, sarcastic, a joke...

Very nice pic by the way.

Cheers, Dave Smith.
Well, thats the problem sometimes when reading comments instead of hearing them. They can be taken a lot of different ways......and it didn't help that I totally missed the whole tongue and cheek thing. :D

Ion01

Unread post by Ion01 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:31 am

Also I thought I might point out some other similar objects.
Comets: Wild 2
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/ ... comets.htm

Moons: Hyperion
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2007/ ... perion.htm
Phoebes
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2007/ ... phoebe.htm

BTW-I think this would make a great subject for a TPOD!