Disparaging Lemaitre

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Plasmatic

Re: Disparaging Lemaitre

Unread post by Plasmatic » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:50 pm

According to Popper a theory is only scientific if it can be falsified.
According to Popper we arrive at new theories through magical intuition that is conceptually no different than revelation too.

"It so happens that my arguments here are quite independent of this problem. However, my view of the matter, for what it is worth, is that there is no such thing as a logical method of having new ideas, or a logical reconstruction of this process. My view may be expressed by saying that every discovery contains 'an irrational element', or 'a creative intuition', in Bergson's sense. In a similar way Einstein speaks of the 'search for those highly universal laws ... from which a picture of the world can be obtained by pure deduction. There is no logical path', he says, 'leading to these ... laws. They can only be reached by intuition, based upon something like an intellectual love ('Einfiuhlung') of the objects of experience.'2"

Anyway I found Birkelands quote on Alfvens comments interesting. To add a little more to the mix:
“As far as I can see ,such a theory remains entirely outside any metaphysical or religious question.It leaves the materialist free to deny any transcendental being.He may keep, for the bottom of space-time the same attitude of mind he has been able to adopt for events occurring in non-singular places in space-time.For the believer it removes any attempt at familiarity with God, as were Laplaces chiquenaude [or flick of gods finger] or Jeans finger [of God]. It is consonant with the wording of Isaias speaking of the “Hidden God” hidden even in the beginning of creation….Science has not to surrender in face of the Universe and when Pascal tries to infer the existence of God from the supposed infinitude of Nature, we may think that he is looking in the wrong direction”
Lemaitre
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

Joe

Unread post by Joe » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Total Science wrote:That proves gravitation is not a scientific theory.
Total Science wrote:According to Popper a theory is only scientific if it can be falsified.
Any particular theory of gravitation can be falsified. Therefore, it is scientific in nature.
Total Science wrote:Gravitation is only a property of mass and can only act on mass.
Am I missing something? Have I misunderstood you till now? Have you not been condemning the concept of gravitation till now? Now, you seem to accept it as a fact of life! :shock:
Total Science wrote:21st century data proves the Big Bang to be an utterly debunked religion.
It might be debunked, but it was never a religion. There is no magic in the Big Bang model.

-Joe

Birkeland

Unread post by Birkeland » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:12 am

Joe wrote:There is no magic in the Big Bang model.
"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see" - Ayn Rand

Joe

Unread post by Joe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:16 pm

Total Science wrote:Gravitation is infinitely weak because it is imaginary.
You are confusing gravity with gravitation. It is gravity that is weak. The theory of gravitation is fairly strong. After all, NASA uses it to calculate trajectory.

So, you believe that gravity is real, but the theory about gravity -gravitation- is unreal.
Let us do a test:

1. Do you believe that electricity is real? (Examples: a current through the computer that you are using right now; static-cling)
2. If 'yes', then you must certainly believe in the laws that have been abstracted from it by scientists such as Weber and Ampere. (These laws were used in order to create your computer.) Do you believe that these laws are real, Total Science?

If the answer is 'yes' to both questions, then you can not logically reject the laws of gravitation which have been abstracted from gravity.

Lesson: Electricity is, to electromagnetism, as gravity is, to gravitation.
Total Science wrote:Gravitation is only a property of mass and can only act on mass.

Again, you are confusing gravity with gravitation. It is gravity that is related to mass. Gravitation only describes this relationship.
As far as gravity having the ability to act on massless entites, Science doubts it. The laws of gravitation, today, do not permit this behavior. But, light rays do bend near celestial bodies, so I foresee further refinements in the theory of gravitation.

P.S. Mass is also related to inertia: F=ma.

-Joe

Total Science

Unread post by Total Science » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:30 pm

Joe wrote:You are confusing gravity with gravitation.
That contradicts your earlier fundamentalist claim that they are synonymous... :roll:
It is gravity that is weak.
I agree. All it takes is a tiny magnet to counteract the Earth's gravity.

"You see, gravity – it’s weaker than weak!
And the reason why is something many scientists seek." -- Kate McAlpine, rapper, July 2008
The theory of gravitation is fairly strong.
Strong smelling.
After all, NASA uses it to calculate trajectory.
The ancients used Ptolemy to calculate eclipses.

NASA uses the Bible to calculate trajectories as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Ipb8-CLDM
So, you believe that gravity is real, but the theory about gravity -gravitation- is unreal.
Correct.
Let us do a test:

1. Do you believe that electricity is real? (Examples: a current through the computer that you are using right now; static-cling)
Yes.
2. If 'yes', then you must certainly believe in the laws that have been abstracted from it by scientists such as Weber and Ampere. (These laws were used in order to create your computer.) Do you believe that these laws are real, Total Science?
What alleged laws are you referring to?
so I foresee further refinements in the theory of gravitation.
What you call refinements I call epicycles.
"The ancients possessed a plasma cosmology and physics themselves, and from laboratory experiments, were well familiar with the patterns exhibited by Peratt's petroglyphs." -- Joseph P. Farrell, author, 2007

Joe

Unread post by Joe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:13 pm

Total Science wrote:The ancients used Ptolemy to calculate eclipses.
And, his work was successful, used for 1,500 years.
Total Science wrote:NASA uses the Bible to calculate trajectories
No, it does not. It uses the laws of gravitation, coupled to supercomputers.
Total Science wrote:What alleged laws are you referring to?
I am referring to the laws of electricity devised by scientists like Ampere and Weber, and employed in the creation of the computer that you are using right now. Without these laws, you and I would not be communicating now. Want specifics? Consult Wikipedia.
Total Science wrote:What you call refinements I call epicycles.
And, they are always quite successful. They are used to accomplish great feats.

You risk being illogical, Total Science. Heed the following:
Joe wrote:Lesson: Electricity is, to electromagnetism, as gravity is, to gravitation.

-Joe

Total Science

Unread post by Total Science » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:46 pm

Joe wrote:
Total Science wrote:The ancients used Ptolemy to calculate eclipses.
And, his work was successful, used for 1,500 years.
Success and truth are not the same thing.

So you think that because Ptolemy could predict eclipses therefore the Sun revolves around the Earth?

Then you probably also think F = G x (m1m2)/r^2.
Total Science wrote:NASA uses the Bible to calculate trajectories
No, it does not.
NASA uses the Bible more than it uses F = G (m1m2)/r^2 as I already demonstrated.
I am referring to the laws of electricity devised by scientists like Ampere and Weber, and employed in the creation of the computer that you are using right now. Without these laws, you and I would not be communicating now. Want specifics? Consult Wikipedia.
There were many lies and falsehoods that were used in the creation of our computers.
Total Science wrote:What you call refinements I call epicycles.
And, they are always quite successful. They are used to accomplish great feats.
I suggest you read David Hume and Nassim Taleb.

Just because Ptolemy was successful in predicting eclipses does not mean the Sun revolves around the Earth.

All it takes is one observation to falsify 1500 years of alleged success.

Apparent success is not how I measure truth.

I don't think Bill Gates and hedge fund managers have a monopoly on truth.

But then again, you believe the Sun revolves around the Earth because you sucessfully predict eclipses with the Ptolemaic model.
"The ancients possessed a plasma cosmology and physics themselves, and from laboratory experiments, were well familiar with the patterns exhibited by Peratt's petroglyphs." -- Joseph P. Farrell, author, 2007

Joe

Unread post by Joe » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:12 pm

Total Science wrote:Success and truth are not the same thing.
Is it possible to be successful in falsehood? Could a person have a successful career as an accountant, if he believed that 2+2=3, etc.?
Total Science wrote:So you think that because Ptolemy could predict eclipses therefore the Sun revolves around the Earth?
No, because humans have more information about nature, today, than they had in the past. It would be illogical to believe that the Sun orbited the Earth, today. But, that did not prevent Ptolemy from being right about his system. Science is progress; this is a fact that seems lost on you, Total Science.
Total Science wrote:Then you probably also think F = G x (m1m2)/r^2.
If it works, yes.
Total Science wrote:There were many lies and falsehoods that were used in the creation of our computers.
So, falsehoods create beautiful, functional things, then? Maybe, you are right. Maybe, it is not a hard-disk that is installed in your computer; that would be illogical. Maybe, it is a waffle-iron.
Total Science wrote:Just because Ptolemy was successful in predicting eclipses does not mean the Sun revolves around the Earth.
True, but it was a step in the right direction. Do you believe that these steps are worthwhile, Total Science? I mean, without these small steps, where would we be today?
Total Science wrote:All it takes is one observation to falsify 1500 years of alleged success.
The Ptolemaic system was not false. That is the reason for its success. It has been superceded by a more-refined system. It is called 'progress'. Do you not appreciate progress, Total Science?
Total Science wrote:Apparent success is not how I measure truth.
Pray, tell us, how do you measure truth?
Total Science wrote:But then again, you believe the Sun revolves around the Earth because you sucessfully predict eclipses with the Ptolemaic model.
Well, you have me figured out, then. I also believe that the Earth is flat. In fact, I avoid taking long walks for fear of falling off the edge of the world.

-Joe

Total Science

Unread post by Total Science » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:28 pm

Joe wrote:
Total Science wrote:Success and truth are not the same thing.
Is it possible to be successful in falsehood?
Absolutely.

Ptolemy successfully predicted eclipses with his false model.
Could a person have a successful career as an accountant, if he believed that 2+2=3, etc.?
Yes, e.g. Arthur Andersen.

Similarly it is possible to make millions of dollars using a model you think is correct and then one day lose it all because your model is false, e.g. The Black Swan.
No, because humans have more information about nature, today, than they had in the past.
Wrong. Humans had more information about nature in the past.

Prisca sapientia.
It would be illogical to believe that the Sun orbited the Earth, today.
No more illogical than it was yesterday.

"Since we have already proved through geometrical considerations the equivalence of all hypotheses with respect to the motions of any bodies whatsoever, however numerous, moved only by the collision with other bodies, it follows that not even an angel could determine with mathematical rigor which of the many bodies of that sort is at rest, and which is the center of motion for the others." -- Gottfried W. Leibniz, polymath, 1689
Science is progress; this is a fact that seems lost on you, Total Science.
More often than not science is regress not progress.

"There is no teaching, but only recollection." -- Plato, philosopher, Meno, 380 B.C.

"Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it." -- George Orwell, writer, 1945

"The history of science demonstrates, however, that the scientific truths of yesterday are often viewed as misconceptions, and, conversely, that ideas rejected in the past may now be considered true. History is littered with the discarded beliefs of yesteryear, and the present is populated by epistemic corrections. This realization leads us to the central problem of the history and philosophy of science: How are we to evaluate contemporary sciences's claims to truth given the perishability of past scientific knowledge? ... If the truths of today are the falsehoods of tomorrow, what does this say about the nature of scientific truth?" -- Naomi Oreskes, historian, 1999
True, but it was a step in the right direction. Do you believe that these steps are worthwhile, Total Science? I mean, without these small steps, where would we be today?
Why do you think geocentrism was a step in the right direction?

It was definitely a step in the wrong direction (Philolaus's model was heliocentric) and it corrupted and retarded science for over a dozen centuries just as gravitation is retarding science now.
It is called 'progress'. Do you not appreciate progress, Total Science?
What you call progress I call devolution.
Total Science wrote:Apparent success is not how I measure truth.
Pray, tell us, how do you measure truth?
See the Black Swan. If a trader's model is apparently successful it does not mean that it is true. Remember Ptolemy's successful prediction of eclipses does not mean the Sun revolves around the Earth.

Joe

Unread post by Joe » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Total Science wrote:Ptolemy successfully predicted eclipses with his false model.
If success is not the guarantor of the truth, then what is the guarantor of the truth, Total Science?
Total Science wrote:Similarly it is possible to make millions of dollars using a model you think is correct and then one day lose it all because your model is false, e.g. The Black Swan.
A model is not necessarily false. But, it is necessarily temporary.
Total Science wrote:Wrong. Humans had more information about nature in the past.
If you mean 'scientific' information, you're wrong.
If you mean living in harmony with nature, you're partly right.
Total Science wrote:No more illogical than it was yesterday.
But, would you have BELIEVED that, yesterday, without the information that we have today?
If 'yes', where would you have gotten that knowledge?
If 'no', why do you argue?
Total Science wrote:More often than not science is regress not progress.
At least, you admit that science can be progressive sometimes. :)
And, it is true that science can be harmful if we turn our back to wisdom and spirituality in the process of using our newly devised laws of Nature.
Total Science wrote:Why do you think geocentrism was a step in the right direction?
It MUST have been, when compared to whatever preceded it. And, if it was not, then somebody made an error in judgement. Humans are not perfect.
Total Science wrote:it corrupted and retarded science for over a dozen centuries just as gravitation is retarding science now.
If Heliocentrism lost out to Geocentrism, it is only because the advocates of the latter made stronger arguments, probably involving successful predictions.
If you believe that YOUR theory about gravity is right, then make a successful prediction where others have failed.
Total Science wrote:See the Black Swan. If a trader's model is apparently successful it does not mean that it is true. Remember Ptolemy's successful prediction of eclipses does not mean the Sun revolves around the Earth.
But, that does not answer the question: How does a person guarantee the truth, other than through success?
In other words, how can I know that your theory is better than the conventional theory?

-Joe

Total Science

Unread post by Total Science » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Joe wrote:
Total Science wrote:Ptolemy successfully predicted eclipses with his false model.
If success is not the guarantor of the truth, then what is the guarantor of the truth, Total Science?
That is a good question. I don't know how one determines truth (perhaps observation and experience?).

"That all our knowledge begins with experience there can be no doubt." -- Immanuel Kant, physical scientist/philosopher, 1781

All I know is that success does not equal truth because if it did, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett would have a duopoly on truth. People are not infallible by virtue of their success.
A model is not necessarily false. But, it is necessarily temporary.
No it's not. If a model is true it is not temporary and transcends time.
If you mean living in harmony with nature, you're partly right.
That's not what I mean. I mean the ancients knew more about the universe, the Milky Way, our solar system, tectonics, atoms, electricity, magnetism, gravity, and exobiology than we do.

"He [Democritus] said that the ordered worlds are boundless and differ in size, and that in some there is neither sun nor moon, but that in others, both are greater than with us, and yet with others more in number. And that the intervals between the ordered worlds are unequal, here more and there less, and that some increase, others flourish and others decay, and here they come into being and there they are eclipsed. But that they are destroyed by colliding with one another. And that some ordered worlds are bare of animals and plants and all water." -- Hippolytus, priest, 2nd century

"This question of measurement is only one example of Newton's faith in the prisca sapientia of Ancient Egypt. He was also convinced that atomic theory, heliocentricity and gravitation had been known there [See McGuire and Rattansi (1966, p. 110)]." -- Martin Bernal, historian, 1987
But, would you have BELIEVED that, yesterday, without the information that we have today?
If 'yes', where would you have gotten that knowledge?
If 'no', why do you argue?
The answer is no and the reason I argue is that I wouldn't have said the solar system was geocentric if I had the information that Ptolemy had in his time.
At least, you admit that science can be progressive sometimes. :)
It's possible but mostly science regresses to truths that were already known in the past.
It MUST have been, when compared to whatever preceded it.
Heliocentrism preceeded geocentrism so geocentrism was a step in the wrong direction. Whenever modern or contemporary science contradicts ancient truth it is wrong.
And, if it was not, then somebody made an error in judgement. Humans are not perfect.
You can say that again. Some of the ancients approached perfection as some were demigods (half of their DNA was extraterrestrial in origin).

"And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose." -- Genesis 6:1-2

"...and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown." -- Genesis 6:4

"After the fallen angels went into the daughters of men, the sons of men taught the mixture of animals of one species with the other, in order to provoke the Lord." -- Jasher 4:18
If Heliocentrism lost out to Geocentrism, it is only because the advocates of the latter made stronger arguments, probably involving successful predictions.
Exactly why successful predictions don't mean a model is true.

Even mainstream science rejects successful prediction as the criteria for truth.

Democritus and Velikovsky made successful predictions and mainstream scientists like Carl Sagan said they were lucky guesses and they are wrong anyway, in spite of the fact of successful predictions.
If you believe that YOUR theory about gravity is right, then make a successful prediction where others have failed.
Already been done.

"Venus experienced in quick succession its birth and expulsion under violent conditions; an existence as a comet on an ellipse which approached the sun closely; two encounters with the earth accompanied by discharges of [electric] potentials between these two bodies and with a thermal effect caused by conversion of momentum into heat; a number of contacts with Mars, and probably also with Jupiter. Since all this happened between the third and first millennia before the present era, the core of the planet Venus must still be hot." -- Immanuel Velikovsky, cosmologist, 1950

"But then if there were events of this character, discharges between planets and so on, I put one of the most outrageous claims before the scientific readers, that in the solar system and in the universe generally, not just gravitation and inertia are the two forces of action but that also electricity and magnetism are participating in the mechanism. So the Lord was not just a watchmaker. The universe is not free of those forces with which the man makes his life easy already more than 100 years. They were unknown practically or little known in the time of Newton in the second half of the 17th century. But today we know that electricity and magnetism, these are not just small phenomena that we can repeat as a kind of a little trick in the lab, that they permeate every field from neurology into botony and chemistry and astronomy should not be free...and it was admitted by authorities that this was the most outrageous point in my claims. But the vengeance came early and swiftly. In 1960, already in 1955, radio noises from Jupiter were detected and this was one of the crucial tests that I offered for the truth of my theory. In 1958, the magnetosphere was discovered around the Earth, another claim. In 1960, the interplanetary magnetic field was discovered and solar plasma, so-called solar wind, moving rapidly along the magnetic lines and then it was discovered that the electromagnetic field of the Earth reaches the moon ." -- Immanuel Velikovsky, cosmologist, 1966

"And Venus must be hot if the history of the solar system is not the history of no change for billions of years. And Venus was found hot, not room temperature as was thought until 1959. In 1961 it was detected with radio means that it is like something like 600 Farenheit and Mariner 2 was sent out to find out true or not true? It was found that even more it is full 800 [degrees Farenheit]." -- Immanuel Velikovsky, cosmologist, 1966

"To be sure Velikovsky made some predictions that seemed to be close to what astronomers eventually discovered to be so ... For instance, Velikovsky stated that since Venus was formed from Jupiter's interior which must be very hot, Venus itself would be very hot. He said this in 1950, when astronomers believed that Venus' temperature, while warmer that Earth's might not be very much warmer." -- Isaac Asimov, writer, 1981

"In Worlds In Collision, MacMillan, 1950, Immanuel Velikovsky popularized the idea that Venus is a new planet, a fission product of Jupiter. And from about 1450 to 550 BCE, it participated in a series of close-encounters-of-the-worst-kind with Earth. His thesis was largely (and emphatically) rejected by the astronomical community. That rejection is still generally in effect. This, in spite of the fact, that his predictions about the Earth-Venus problem have been verified." -- Robert S. Fritzius, astronomer, December 2007
How does a person guarantee the truth, other than through success?
A person does not guarantee truth through success. Why do you think that? Is Bill Gates infallible?
In other words, how can I know that your theory is better than the conventional theory?
Observation.

Birkeland

Unread post by Birkeland » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Total Science wrote:I don't know how one determines truth (perhaps observation and experience?).
HERE is an objective definition.
"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see" - Ayn Rand

Total Science

Unread post by Total Science » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Birkeland wrote:
Total Science wrote:I don't know how one determines truth (perhaps observation and experience?).
HERE is an objective definition.
OK well I guess that settles that debate. What was Socrates thinking? :lol:

Why do you have faith in that definition and how was it determined?

Birkeland

Unread post by Birkeland » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:27 pm

Total Science wrote:OK well I guess that settles that debate.
If objectivity is the standard, yes.
What was Socrates thinking?
Socrates asked the fundamental questions.
Why do you have faith in that definition and how was it determined?
Reality sets the standard. No faith needed.

Joe

Unread post by Joe » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:30 am

That's right. Scientific truth is determined by careful observation and analysis.
And, it's an on-going process. There is no Ultimate Scientific Truth. We take our small victories in scientific truth whenever we can get them. They do truly help us along our way in this world.
Total Science wrote:All I know is that success does not equal truth
Scientific success always equals scientific truth. What standard, other than success, exists for establishing scientific truth? In time, that truth will be ameliorated. But, this does not mean that that truth is actually falsehood. It just means that that truth is temporary.
Total Science wrote:People are not infallible by virtue of their success.

We live in a state where people are fallible, but this is no hindrance to scientific progress.
Total Science wrote:If a model is true it is not temporary and transcends time.
A model is never ultimately true; it is always deficient. It is either continually ameliorated; or, used forever as-is, but with an increasing number of restrictions, due to an ever-increasing knowledge-base.
Total Science wrote:I mean the ancients knew more about the universe, the Milky Way, our solar system, tectonics, atoms, electricity, magnetism, gravity, and exobiology than we do.

No, they did not.
The opinions of ancients are not to be equated with scientific knowledge. For every correct belief that was ever held by anyone, there existed innumerable, incorrect beliefs that were held, as well.
Total Science wrote:I wouldn't have said the solar system was geocentric if I had the information that Ptolemy had in his time

Are you saying that Ptolemy advanced a theory that he could not prove, that all the information that he had available to him was not sufficient to warrant a belief in Geocentrism? His successful model proved his Geocentric theory. Why would you have belittled his success, and ventured that Geocentrism still hadn't been proven? Sure, Heliocentrism did make some strong arguments, but just not strong enough, apparently.
Total Science wrote:It's possible but mostly science regresses to truths that were already known in the past.

Examples, please. Thanks.
Total Science wrote:Heliocentrism preceeded geocentrism so geocentrism was a step in the wrong direction.
No, very ancient Man never believed that the land under his feet was circling the Sun. He saw the Sun as a disk in the sky, and little more.
Total Science wrote:Whenever modern or contemporary science contradicts ancient truth it is wrong.
But, how is ancient truth so obviously true to you, and not to modern scientists? Do you have a special test for truth that modern scientists are missing?
Total Science wrote:Exactly why successful predictions don't mean a model is true.

Well, then, how is the truth of a model ever established, other than by successful predictions?
Total Science wrote:Democritus and Velikovsky made successful predictions and mainstream scientists like Carl Sagan said they were lucky guesses and they are wrong anyway, in spite of the fact of successful predictions.
But, now, you're contradicting yourself, using the concept of success in establishing truth.
Total Science wrote:Already been done.
False. An EM explanation for gravity is not ancient; it is modern. It was proposed by many modern scientists. Even you have posted quotes by them.
Total Science wrote:A person does not guarantee truth through success.

So, what is the guarantor of truth? Failure? A special test that only you have and are unwilling to share with the rest of the world?
Total Science wrote:Is Bill Gates infallible?

No, but does that mean that his software is based on falsehood? How could your computer work by something that was an abject failure?
Total Science wrote:Observation.

The ancients, also, observed that Ptolemy's model made correct predictions. Does this mean that you accept Ptolemy's model as true?

-Joe