electric helix

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

gohan

electric helix

Unread post by gohan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:39 am

As a welder I have seen the electric arc twist into material and liquefy said material. Can anyone explain?

jjohnson

Re: electric helix

Unread post by jjohnson » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi, Helix,
Twisting in an electric current in plasma can occur at any scale (not in condensed metal conductors themselves at wire scales, likely, but in flexible plasma filaments, yes). Would it be possible for you to make a short video through welding glass to give us a record of your observation? It sounds really interesting, and would be fun to compare the shapes with larger scale cosmic phenomena like planetary nebulas.

Osmosis

Re: electric helix

Unread post by Osmosis » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Does anyone have access to a sputtering chamber? The Birkeland currents should show up in a plasma, if the pressure and input current can be fiddled with. :idea: :idea: I have to try this with my arc welder, anyway. :D