Where is the Homounculus

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

whitenightf3

Where is the Homounculus

Unread post by whitenightf3 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:10 am

Hi All
Having just read two interesting books on Consciousness research I am left with the question where is the Homounculus?
It is not in the brain according to the experts, does anyone here know?
The books were called Mapping the mind by Rita Carter and Conversations on Consciousness by DR Sue Blackmore

All the evidence points to this being a dream and so we are just figuerments dream't into existence by a Divine Mind.
This leads to the conclusion that everything is Maya and the so-called freewill does not exist it to is an illusion.

I think the folllowing extract makes this clear

So where is the objective world actually experienced? When? In our brains, in our bodies, or out there and back then? Even if we answer these questions, we have an obvious problem: Where is the observer? Indeed, where the experience takes place and where the observer exist are the most difficult things to talk about.
Where is the homounculus? Where is the person who experiences the outside world? In the brain? In the body? In the whole universe? In all of my research I have yet to find the location of the observer of reality in the brain or the
nervous system. I havent found him in the body either.
Just as, according to quantum rules, the True object seems to fade away __like the cats face in the Alice in Wonderland ___I concclude that there is no one there to observe it. There is no person in the body or in the nervous system. Referring
to what we would call the ego, the Buddha taught there is no I. He also saw that there are no objects out there independent of this I who does not exist.
Not much to stand on is there? The Beatles were right; Nothing is real. The French got even closer to the truth when they coined the word personne to signify nobody. But if there is no witness, no fundamental observer, then what is
going on? Don't get the Buddha wrong , there is something going on, but it is not as it seems to you, for you don't really exist.
But if you don't exist, what does? Well, it seems that the scripts are real, written down in an imaginal that may be more real than what we perceive.
Fred Alan Wolf

junglelord

Re: Where is the Homounculus

Unread post by junglelord » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:35 am

It runs from the top to the bottom of the parietal lobe, the sensory lobe. It means the little man. It is the sensory wire diagram of the body represented on the parietal lobe.
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

whitenightf3

Unread post by whitenightf3 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:44 am

Hi I know what the term means is is a metaphor for the I that is having the experience, I am in touch with Scientists and Philosophers and they assure me that this I is not in the Brain it cannot be found and one of the world's leading Neuroscientist states the following:

Philosophers since the Greeks have speculated about the "ghost" in the machine, the
"little man inside the little man" and so on. Where is the I-the entity that uses the
brain? Who does the actual knowing? Or, as Saint Francis of Assisi once put it, "What
we are looking for is what is looking".
Karl Pribram

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:51 am

Sorry. Consciousness is distributed throughout the body, via the liquid crystal matrix of the fascia or connective tissue. The quantum superconductor principles apply to the hollow fibers of the liquid crystal matrix. Within the hollow fibers the size and makeup of the chemistry allow a quantum computer in a biological form. This my take on consciousness.
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

whitenightf3

Unread post by whitenightf3 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:28 am

My take on Consciousness is that we are Swimming in it much like a fish swims in the ocean. Consciousness is all around us in Morphic Fields and the Brain is like a transmitter that can send and receive signals. If anything on this front the work of Dr Rupert Sheldrake and Bruce Lipton are on the money!

If the mind makes no discriminations, all things are as they really are.
Seng-T’ Sang

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:36 am

I can totally agree with that. I was at the beach yesterday. A private beach, 99.999% never anyone there. Two ladies came there yesterday after I was there for about 3.5 hours. I knew they were coming, some kinda radar. Very weird. But I decided that you could detect consciouness.....what do you think?
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord

Divinity

Unread post by Divinity » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:44 am

junglelord wrote:I can totally agree with that. I was at the beach yesterday. A private beach, 99.999% never anyone there. Two ladies came there yesterday after I was there for about 3.5 hours. I knew they were coming, some kinda radar. Very weird. But I decided that you could detect consciouness.....what do you think?
Great discussion. I agree. Interesting how we get to this point in our awareness. For some, they say the brain is the transmitter/receiver, for some it's the the cells themselves. The closest, for me, is the DNA - I feel the DNA of each of us is constantly chattering between ourselves perhaps at frequencies impossible to detect, whether we are awake or asleep - the communication/energy/information transfer never stops.

The Butterfly Effect is not an illusion. What I do here affects what happens on the other side of the world. The reason can only be because we are connected in what Sheldrake would say is the Morphogenetic Field (or as we now know, the Aetheric Electro-magnetic field). It's why we cannot afford the luxury of a negative thought and it's also why we must be responsible in all our communications with each other. Anger/rage is damaging to a person's field. Love/kindness is nurturing.

The body seems to know it All - it's the five senses which lag behind a bit (especially when one allows logic to completely rule the mind) :D

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 am

My 2 cents worth:

Consciousness is synergetic and ephemeral.

The physical and the metaphysical.

Machine+program+language+knowledge=Consciousness

Change or delete any of the components and consciousness is altered or ceases to exist.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

moses

Unread post by moses » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:49 pm

Light lands on the retina and produces electrical impulses that travel
to the brain where consciousness is induced. If it is green light then
the experiencing of green or green-ness is induced and this experiencing
is consciousness. The thought "I am experiencing green" can arise by
a part of the brain generating electrical impulses which probably have
to travel to another part of the brain where the experiencing " I am
experiencing green" is induced.

What defines our life is this transformation from electrical impulses to
experiencing or consciousness. Thus what we really are - that part of us
that is really alive - is the experiencing. Thus the mechanical generation
of thought has no life, and there is no free will in this. If experiencing
can generate electrical impulses in the brain, then the action arising
from these electrical impulses comes from the alive part of us, and so
can have free will. However, whilst there is tons of ideas and thoughts
and feelings arising from memory - the past - then the thoughts and
feelings arising from experiencing cannot prodominate, because such
thoughts and feelings are gentle, sensitive and quiet, whilst thoughts
and feelings arising from the past are crude and loud. So lose the past
and then be guided by experiencing.

Mo

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:58 pm

What about people with total colour blindness?
:lol:
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord

moses

Unread post by moses » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:34 pm

junglelord wrote:What about people with total colour blindness?
:lol:
Is this colour blindness caused by differences in the retina, or if the
correct electrical impulses are generated by the retina then either the
signal is changed somewhere in the brain or else two different signals
induce the same experiencing. Answer - by differences in the retina,
but the considering of the question of each impulse generating unique
experiencing, is valuable. Because then we might see that the actual
experiencing of 'bitter', say, is of a completely different nature to the
electrical impulses that induce this experiencing of 'bitter'. Experiencing
may be in a different dimension, and a dimension beyond time. So that
experiencing may access the past and maybe the future.

So experiencing, consciousness, may harbour something completely different !
Just lose all the other electrical impulses, from the past, and in the silence
it can arise. But of course, this isn't easy.
Mo

whitenightf3

Unread post by whitenightf3 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:50 am

Moses your replies are based on Reductionistic science and that really is a dead end. The following short film explains how consciousness arises and it is based on the work of Physicist David Bohm and Neuroscientists Karl Pribram.
The only conclusion is that what we call life is Maya!
I hope you all take time to watch this it will accelerate the discussion to another level I am sure!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=0

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:58 pm

I fail to see how a video that promotes Ala is appropriate for this forum.
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord

whitenightf3

Unread post by whitenightf3 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:15 pm

The video is basically stating that apart from God or if u prefer The Universal Mind, nothing else exist. I think that philosophical concept is perfectly ok for this forum and any other. If you are an Islamaphobic maybe u best get help with that, rather than put your board policemen's helmut on and tell adults what they can and cannot watch.

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:24 pm

I support some of the concepts in the video, however the final analysis that Ala is the reason for being is not Kosher....LOL.
I am not muslumphobic. I do believe in at least making a disclaimer on the final religious conclusion.

God is God, let Him remain nonreligious, that is a manmade perception. Is that not what the entire video was about....preception? Or did I miss the point?
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord