Travelling the stars in the Electric universe

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light? If you have a personal favorite theory, that is in someway related to the Electric Universe, this is where it can be posted.
Nonafel

Travelling the stars in the Electric universe

Unread post by Nonafel » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:31 pm

In keeping with my goal of trying to remain as true to reality as possible, I wish to explore ways to travel using the EU model
I'm sure we all know the myriad ways that have cropped up using the "established" model, but data on travel by way of the EU seems sparse

So to that end I have to questions/ponderings that would greatly benefit from feedback/discussion.
For this I simply wish to focus on the mechanics, not the energy requirements or other limitations.

With that outta the way, here's the important bits:

1: In terms of interplanetary travel, increase in speed increases risk of collision, thus damage. To avoid that, I wish to consider the following:
Gravity is insignificant when compared to electromagnetism and related electric based effects, is it possible to use the basis of Alcubierre drive to create a polarized electromagnetic field that could mimic the effect?
In theory, would this would allow whatever is inside the field to travel rapidly, but if it encounters another field the process stops and collision at incredible speeds is avoided?

2: In terms of interstellar travel, you are moving through is the void/aether between stars in your quest to reach another solar system or whatnot
Considering there are charged particles being projected from stars, of which interact with Birkeland filaments along a magnetic field, would attempting to use this conduit or to create a conduit as a means to expedite travel?
Would simply interacting with one or the other work?
If not, is there another avenue that could mimic a similar result?

allynh

Re: Travelling the stars in the Electric universe

Unread post by allynh » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:27 pm

Sorry, I missed your first post over at the Electric Universe thread, Wormholes an the EU

https://thunderbolts.info/wp/forum3/phpBB3 ... 5938#p5938

I've read through the various posts you have made so far, and I think that I see where you are going with your novel.

There are a number of threads that have talked about using the EU in fiction. This thread was the latest and has links to the earlier threads. See if this helps.

Sci-Fi Kinda Question
https://thunderbolts.info/wp/forum3/phpBB3 ... =424#p4226

There is discussion of different "space drives" which avoid most of the problems caused by trying to add energy to a ship to make it go fast. Pick the ones you like most.

For the "interstellar travel" question:

I look at the galaxy as a vast, constantly changing, electric field. That comes in handy for Story. Look at:

The Mote in God's Eye
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God%27s_Eye

Some star systems are connected by points in space that have equal potential, called "Alderson points". They use the "Alderson Drive" to shift from one "Alderson point" to the next.

The beauty of that concept is that those "Alderson points" can change over time isolating a star system.

- They also use something called the "Langston Field" to soak up energy, like a force field.

Look at the sample of the ebook
https://www.amazon.com/Mote-Gods-Eye-Bo ... 004YDL2CY/
Mote in God's Eye wrote: Prologue

"Throughout the past thousand years of history it has been traditional to regard the Alderson Drive as an unmixed blessing. Without the faster than light travel Alderson's discoveries made possible, humanity would have been trapped in the tiny prison of the Solar System when the Great Patriotic Wars destroyed the CoDominium on Earth. Instead, we had already settled more than two hundred worlds.

"A blessing, yes. We might now be extinct were it not for the Alderson Drive. But unmixed? Consider. The same tramline effect that colonized the stars, the same interstellar contacts that allowed the formation of the First Empire, allow interstellar war. The worlds wrecked in two hundred years of Secession Wars were both settled and destroyed by ships using the Alderson Drive.

"Because of the Alderson Drive we need never consider the space between the stars. Because we can shunt between stellar systems in zero time, our ships and ships' drives need cover only interplanetary distances. We say that the Second Empire of Man rules two hundred worlds and all the space between, over fifteen million cubic parsecs . . .

"Consider the true picture. Think of myriads of tiny bubbles, very sparsely scattered, rising through a vast black sea. We rule some of the bubbles. Of the waters we know nothing . . ."

--from a speech delivered by Dr. Anthony Horvath at the Blaine Institute, 3029 ad.
This way you avoid the classic problems with "wormholes", while still being able to move from star system to star system quickly.

Nonafel

Unread post by Nonafel » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:58 pm

Thanks for the links, they should prove useful
I find it interesting that I already arrived at the idea that the connections between systems can change, being easily accessed or gone for periods of time. My idea was something disrupted the alignment, so it's interesting to see you mention almost that exact thing in your message

allynh

Unread post by allynh » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:44 pm

Nonafel wrote:disrupted the alignment
That's the heart of Story in a dynamic system.

- There may be local "nodes" connecting nearby stars.

- There may be higher level "nodes" that connect distant regions across the galaxy.

- Then "nodes" that connect galaxy to galaxy.

You would have star systems come in and out of contact, shattering established trade routes. A route that was quick could suddenly require many jumps to get from here to there, or cease to exist, stranding worlds from contact with the rest of the society of worlds.

- Leaving strange, twisted, worlds to be rediscovered when they once again connect with the rest of society.

- Successful business empires could collapse overnight.

- Capitol planets become backwater worlds.

You could have a dangerous star system, that rarely comes into contact with other star systems, that "When the Stars are right" creatures flood into a settled star system, strips it bare, then leaves an empty husk when the connection breaks.

Fun stuff.