Daily Geomagnetic Storm Watch with a Quiet Sun

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.
Brigit

Re: Daily Geomagnetic Storm Watch with a Quiet Sun

Unread post by Brigit » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:34 pm

“Oh for shame, how these mortals put the blame upon us gods, for they say evils come from us, when it is they rather who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given…”
~Homer

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:27 pm

This article about the 1903 geomagnetic superstorm amidst a quiet sun cycle piqued my interest today. They had auroras as far as New South Wales, which is good news for me if something similar should happen again in the current quiet solar cycle.

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:04 pm

JP Michael wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:27 pm This article about the 1903 geomagnetic superstorm amidst a quiet sun cycle piqued my interest today. They had auroras as far as New South Wales, which is good news for me if something similar should happen again in the current quiet solar cycle.
It tends to demonstrate that a relatively 'quiet' (few sunspots/active regions) can still result in Earth directed flares that can have a major impact on our planet. It seems like a statistical crap shoot. Fewer active regions on the sun (and fewer resulting sunspots) probably results in a lower probability of an Earth directed CME, but there's still a possibility that an intense solar flare/CME will be directed in our specific direction.

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:55 am

Michael Mozina wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:04 pm It seems like a statistical crap shoot.
Aye. Contra Davidson's apocalyptic tendencies (and the same in myself), whilst it would sure be interesting to see one I don't like our chances!