Looks like everything is about race and sexual identity these days …

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.
BeAChooser

Looks like everything is about race and sexual identity these days …

Unread post by BeAChooser » Mon May 03, 2021 4:00 am

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/02/world/bl ... index.html
Black physicist rethinks the 'dark' in dark matter

By Lisa Selin Davis, CNN

… snip … she is the first Black woman to hold a tenure-track faculty position in theoretical cosmology as an assistant professor at the University of New Hampshire. Prescod-Weinstein is one of the country's few core faculty members of both physics and women's and gender studies departments at a higher institution.

In her new book, "The Disordered Cosmos: A Journey into Dark Matter, Spacetime, and Dreams Deferred," Prescod-Weinstein invites readers into the universe as she sees it -- and as a self-described queer agender Black woman, she sees it differently than many people.

Her book chapters -- including "The Physics of Melanin," "Black People Are Luminous Matter" and "The Anti-Patriarchy Agender" -- show her focus "at the intersection of astrophysics and particle physics" and at the intersection of physics and Black feminist thought and anti-colonial theory.

… snip …

Women and people of color, she notes, are routinely left out of histories of science, despite their important role in the progress that White men are credited with making. Prescod-Weinstein asks us to consider how science would be different if scientists were from more diverse backgrounds, and if it incorporated Indigenous scientific knowledge and voices.
Is it any wonder the astrophysics community has failed to make any real progress in understanding the universe the past 4 or 5 decades?

In her own words during the CNN interview …
I'm a dark matter expert, and so of course, the dark matter -- an invisible form of matter that we believe comprises 80% of the universe -- is going to figure into it in some big way. And dark matter exists in this larger context of space-time, which is how Einstein's theory of relativity requires us to think of space and time, as existing in relationship with each other.

I also wanted to be honest that this was going to be part of the larger social context and not just the larger physical context. That larger social context is dreams deferred. That is both a comment on the social issues that I raise in the book, but also a comment on having to raise the social issues.

CNN: How so?

"Dreams deferred" refers to a suite of poems by Langston Hughes, about the Black experience under White supremacy in America and in all of its facets, and that there are still limits on how we live. … snip …

… snip … it turned out that it wasn't just my job to do the things in physics that excite me, but to think about what I was doing in a larger social context and the impact of my work on the larger community. … snip … What is the role that particle physics and cosmology can play in promoting good relations?

… snip … My biggest pet peeve around the phrase "dark matter" is that it's not a good name for it, because it misrepresents the properties of the thing. It's not dark; it's actually invisible.

… snip … At the time that dark matter got its name, there were almost no Black men and literally zero Black women with a doctorate in physics. So, we have no idea. It would be another 40 years between when dark matter got its name around 1933, and when Willie Hobbs Moore got her doctorate in physics in 1972 at the University of Michigan; she was the first African American woman to earn a doctorate in physics.

… snip …

I don't want to undercut the significance of my accomplishments, because I know that I have worked hard and that I have overcome barriers. I also know that as a light-skinned woman who has a Harvard degree, I experienced less racism because of my appearance.

I don't think that representation or diversity and inclusion necessarily bring us to material change that actually changes those power relations. What we need are a different set of power relations.

… snip … How do we create the conditions so that every child has access to a dark night sky and the opportunity to sit and wonder underneath it? It has very deep implications, because that requires thinking about public transportation and how people get access to dark night skies. It requires thinking about pollution and whether dark night skies continue to be possible. And it has to do with thinking about patriarchy: making it safe to be out under a darkening sky.

It has to do with making sure that parents aren't working 80-hour weeks because their jobs don't pay a living wage. It's about making sure that everyone has access to good health care, to clean water, to food, because it is hard to just enjoy and wonder when you are either being poisoned or when you are hungry.
As you can see, she’ s far more focused on politics than good science.

jacmac

Re: Looks like everything is about race and sexual identity these days …

Unread post by jacmac » Mon May 03, 2021 2:12 pm

Apparently she has comments about many things both in her book and in the conversation cited.
You have brought her comments ,as chosen by the CNN author, to our Electric Universe forum, not her.
I doubt she has achieved her tenure at University by focusing on race and sexual identity.
Perhaps you would like her to shut up and do science, as some have told athletes to "shut up and play".
IMO This is not relevant to our discussions of EU ideas.
We have yet to come up with an explicit electric circuit that describes how the electric sun works.
Tearing down the opposition only goes so far.
Jack

nick c

Re: Looks like everything is about race and sexual identity these days …

Unread post by nick c » Mon May 03, 2021 3:05 pm

This is a political topic and beyond the scope of this forum.
For that reason this thread will be locked.