The Saturn Myth & Polar Configuration Analysis & Critique

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

spark

Re: The Saturn Myth & Polar Configuration Analysis & Critique

Unread post by spark » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:55 am

Golden Age of Red Dwarf Star Uranus, Earths original Sun before the capture of Earth by invading Brown Dwarf Star Saturn, which was broken up by Gas Giant Jupiter, dislodging Earth from Saturn...Earth escaped Jupiter and finally achieved stable orbit around our Current Sun around 2000 years ago.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnbcls940sc

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4IZwGCzE6Y

There was no Polar Configuration according to Tess Clark.

Venus, Mars, Mercury, Earth, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, etc. were all in the process of getting captured by our current Sun like a comet.

Earl Sinclair

Unread post by Earl Sinclair » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:00 pm

I watched both, and she does make quite a few salient points, and one has to wonder about why no revisions to some of Thornhill's and Talbots earlier postulates.

That said, I think they agree on more than they disagree. They're all catastrophists, and they all agree about plasma and electrical interactions, and so-on. They only disagree on which planets were where and when.

As a layman, I have no informed opinion on where or when Venus did what, or when the Moon showed-up, or didn't. Or whether Aphrodite and Venus are one-and-the-same.

I'm more concerned about the SCIENCE of current cosmology and the deficiencies of the Standard Model, of which there are many.

Having "special" math required to make things "understandable" at certain speeds, or at certain sized ( relativistic and atomic respectively ) really smacks of hacks. Gravitation works like X until it gets to > Y, then THIS math is required.

There are contradictory "strong" and "weak" nuclear forces - because, well, that makes the math work out.

The entire universe is understandable and cause-and-effect work just fine - except at THIS scale, when it's all random and requires a sentient observer to make the functions play out.

Totally ridiculous.

Earl

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 pm

I've actually been in communication with Marinus van der Sluijs of late. It is far from certain that Saturn was the ancient sun, especially when the motif is not a global one.

LunarSabbathTruth

Unread post by LunarSabbathTruth » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:17 am

Are we sure that "north" in reference to Saturn means above the Earth's North Pole?

Sometimes we use the word "north" to simply mean "above", as in, "He makes north of $100000 per year".

Maybe Saturn was simply "above" the observer?

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:21 pm

LunarSabbathTruth wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:17 am Are we sure that "north" in reference to Saturn means above the Earth's North Pole?

Sometimes we use the word "north" to simply mean "above", as in, "He makes north of $100000 per year".

Maybe Saturn was simply "above" the observer?
You would need to demonstrate with linguistic evidence from primary documents that "north" can have such a general connotation. Evidence-free conjecture is not enough here. For example, in Hebrew "north" is inexplicably associated with the cosmic mountain of YHWH's abode "up there". But it is not associated with the planet Saturn (although I am yet to comb Rabbinic tradition on this point also).

Then you will need to explain how "Saturn" can be "north", "east" and "west" in multiple mythic traditions as van der Sluijs points out elsewhere.

Rick

Unread post by Rick » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:32 pm

In a recent communication with Ev Cochrane he said that he has attempted to respond to J. P. Michael's April 24th comments about the Polar Configuration but was unable to log on to the forum. Additionally, he tried to communicate with the Forum administrator but received no response.
Ev requests that I submit his response to Michael's post as follows:
"Reading JP Michael’s obituary of the polar configuration hypothesis I am reminded of Mark Twain’s famous quip: 'The report of my death was an exaggeration.' Mr. Michael concluded his critique as follows: ''It is time to put the Polar Configuration theory to bed…The current state of mythic evidence for it [the polar configuration] is neither primary, global, nor ancient.' This is wrong on all three counts: The evidence, in fact, is at once primary, global, and ancient. Believe me, the demise of the polar configuration is nowhere in sight."

"Where to begin? Talbott’s original hypothesis of the polar configuration was largely derived from ancient Egyptian sources, especially the Pyramid and Coffin Texts. Inasmuch as these are among the oldest primary sources in the world, it is very difficult to square this fact with JP’s statement. My own researches have bolstered Talbott’s findings by incorporating complementary testimony from ancient Mesopotamia and Vedic India. The Sumerian mythological texts date from roughly 2000 BCE and the Rig Veda from 1500-1000. Together, these are the oldest written texts in the world and as “primary” and “ancient” as it gets. As Talbott and I have documented in dozens of books and hundreds of articles, the polar configuration is prominently attested in all of these archaic texts."

"How, then, could JP be so wrong? It would appear that JP based his conclusion largely, if not solely, on a five-page letter-to-the-editor published by Rens van der Sluijs in 2013. It will be noted, moreover, that Rens’s note was directed at Dwardu Cardona and that the names Talbott and Cochrane are nowhere to be found. I would submit that denying a carefully argued and richly-sourced historical reconstruction solely upon basis of the objections from one short paper is hardly good form or persuasive. That said, I readily concede that Rens’ views deserve serious consideration and warrant a direct response although I have my doubts whether this is the right forum for that particular discussion."

nick c

Unread post by nick c » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:50 pm

Hi Rick,
In a recent communication with Ev Cochrane he said that he has attempted to respond to J. P. Michael's April 24th comments about the Polar Configuration but was unable to log on to the forum.

i had an email address from another forum. I sent Ev a request for info so we could solve his sign in problems.

Nick

EDIT: I think that the sign in problem has been solved.

evcochrane

Unread post by evcochrane » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:26 pm

Earlier on this thread I saw the name Tess Clark invoked as some kind of authority. Believe me, her manner of argument is more akin to free association than serious science. Recently I was alerted to a video online in which she discussed the views of Talbott and myself. She had no clue what she was talking about and attributed ideas to each of us that we would never hold in our wildest dreams. I listened for about 30 minutes and found virtually everything she claimed laughably wrong. Such is the danger of relying on Youtube for your information.

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:47 am

Rick wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:32 pm In a recent communication with Ev Cochrane he said that he has attempted to respond to J. P. Michael's April 24th comments about the Polar Configuration but was unable to log on to the forum. Additionally, he tried to communicate with the Forum administrator but received no response.
I do appreciate you posting this here, Rick. I see it as a solid opportunity for some back-and-forth, especially when Rens levels some rather poignant critiques of the Saturnian Configuration theory.

And thank you, evcococrhane, for taking the time to write.

Ev's response proceeded on three grounds: attacking van der Sluijs' suggestion that the Saturnian configuration is not based on primary, ancient or global themes.
evcochrane wrote: Talbott’s original hypothesis of the polar configuration was largely derived from ancient Egyptian sources, especially the Pyramid and Coffin Texts. Inasmuch as these are among the oldest primary sources in the world, it is very difficult to square this fact with JP’s statement.
Ev - please cite your references, even if to "my book blah blah, chapter 4" or whatever. Helps me jump straight to the place - I already own all of them! I realise you're not a regular here but I prefer to treat the forum as a place of informal debate, with the expectation that claims are supported by sources and evidence.

Have you demonstrated where in the Egyptian Pyramid and Coffin texts 1. the Egyptian god is specifically and explicitly identified as the planet Saturn; 2. the god is also specifically and explicitly identified as the ancient sun? In any case, I highlighted the word "Egyptian" to emphasise one of the key tenets of van der Sluijs' objection, which I shall deal with further below.
evcochrane wrote:My own researches have bolstered Talbott’s findings by incorporating complementary testimony from ancient Mesopotamia and Vedic India. The Sumerian mythological texts date from roughly 2000 BCE and the Rig Veda from 1500-1000. Together, these are the oldest written texts in the world and as “primary” and “ancient” as it gets. As Talbott and I have documented in dozens of books and hundreds of articles, the polar configuration is prominently attested in all of these archaic texts."
Again, if you could be more specific on the question of sources and articles so I can actually take the time to go and read them carefully and thoughtfully?

In any case, we're noting exactly the theme in the source materials that van der Sluijs did: the source materials mentioned here do not venture far from the ANE (Egypt, Mesopotamia, India). Thus, Thunderbolts still has not proven that the theme is a global one.
evcochrane wrote:"It would appear that JP based his conclusion largely, if not solely, on a five-page letter-to-the-editor published by Rens van der Sluijs in 2013.
This is not entirely correct either. I also cited elsewhere the 2013 paper by van der Sluijs and James, as published in Aula Orientalis. This latter paper was actually far more extensive in its scope refuting, specifically, the idea that Saturn was the ancient sun, and positing a plausible alternative. It is this paper you also need to deal with. If you have done so elsewhere, please let me know where so I can critique it.
evcochrane wrote:It will be noted, moreover, that Rens’s note was directed at Dwardu Cardona and that the names Talbott and Cochrane are nowhere to be found...
Correct, but the reason I cited Rens' letter to Cardona is because his seven questions listed on p.55 remain unanswered by Thunderbolts scholarship, as least as far as I have read or discerned (esp. in private correspondence with Rens dated this month where he affirmed as much). These questions are of critical importance to the debate, because it is here that the global and primary aspects of the Saturn theory stand or fall. At the moment, according to Rens' treatment of it at least, there does not seem to be global mythic evidence of the theme that Saturn = primal sun. Rens also deals with Thunderbolts treatment of source materials in that paper.
evcochrane wrote:That said, I readily concede that Rens’ views deserve serious consideration and warrant a direct response although I have my doubts whether this is the right forum for that particular discussion."
Thank you. I will look out for that, be it as a Thunderbolts video segment or some future paper. If Rens' specific objections have been addressed elsewhere, it would be nice to know where so I can track it down and critique appropriately.

I only post here as a hobbyist of the EU, which I still affirm as a subsidiary and unavoidable component of PU cosmology. Also, just because I have significant doubts about the Saturnian aspect of Thunderbolt's past reconstruction, it does not mean I dismiss all aspects of that reconstruction. I am far more open to the possibility that Venus and Mars had a very active and catastrophic past with relation to the Earth, but ancient roles of Saturn (and Jupiter) seem far from certain. As you already read in the other thread, I am interested in exploring the mechanics of what could hold planets in the "celestial shishkabob", as reconstructed by Thunderbolts, even if some of them might have their roles in it usurped by critical enquiry.

Thanks once again and I look forward to furthering this cordial debate at a future occasion.

evcochrane

Unread post by evcochrane » Sat May 15, 2021 5:31 pm

With reference to JP’s claim above: While Rens claims that you can have “suns” atop pillars as auroral manifestations alone this is more than a little far-fetched itself and, in any case, will never explain the voluminous evidence Dave and I have provided for a polar configuration of planets. Consider, for example, the unique conjunction we have documented between Mars and Venus, which requires the smaller red planet to be positioned in front of the larger Venus in order to be seen as a babe at Venus’s breast (Horus/Isis; Dumuzi/Inanna; Heracles/Hera; the king and Ishtar; etc.). As Dave and I have shown, this particular relationship is evident in countless different myths and symbols, all preserving the same relationship of diminutive male and larger female. How, exactly, is it possible to explain this particular relationship between Venus and Mars--not to mention their manifold interactions--by reference to an amorphous aurora configuration? It will be noted, moreover, that the conjunction between Mars and Venus not only requires a polar configuration in order to be visible at all, it is quite impossible in the present solar system, where Venus is an inferior planet and Mars is a superior planet (i.e., Mars can never appear in front of Venus).

Earlier this week, I sent JP a Chinese pictograph from 3500 BCE showing a sun-like object in conjunction with a recumbent crescent set atop a mountain-like structure, noting that this pictograph offers a very good illustration of how the polar configuration might have looked during one particularly prominent phase (Talbott and I have enumerated a number of distinct phases in the configuration’s history). Perhaps JP and/or Rens would care to tell us how they are going to explain the appearance of the crescent in this image? In the present solar system a lunar crescent cannot assume this position, and yet ancient artworks repeatedly show a crescent in conjunction with the primal “sun.”

At the risk of going too deep into the weeds, as it were, there is compelling evidence supporting the polar configuration that Rens has yet to address (he is in good company here as no other living scholar has managed to explain the evidence either). In a landmark paper published in Aeon some 30 years ago, Dave showed how the crescent associated with the polar column appeared to circle around the polar column with the daily cycle as the Earth revolved on its axis (see Ship of Heaven). Here, too, a polar alignment of the participating celestial bodies is required in order to produce a crescent circling about the sky. I’ll leave it to Rens and JP to tell us how this image can be produced from an intense auroral discharge display.

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Sun May 16, 2021 1:24 am

Original comment referenced is here:
JP Michael wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:21 am
evcochrane wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:16 pm folks seem to get all worked up over the exotic elements of the EU theory such as Saturn/Earth wandering in from who knows where aeons ago rather than focusing on the unequivocal evidence right before our eyes, namely on the Martian surface, on Earth, or in the Pyramid Texts.
Thanks for the input, Ev. Although I might snipe that the evidence is hardly unequivocal of a polar configuration. Catastrophism, absolutely. In recent times? Sure enough. That it specifically involved Mars, Venus & Earth? This requires more work. As you know Rens points out in criticism of polar config. theory (On The Origins of Myth in Catastrophic Experience, 1:220-271, esp. pp.246-251), you can have pillars and 'gods', 'suns' etc. atop pillars (or mountains, etc) as auroral manifestations alone without a planet, comet or other object being present.

Polar config theory needs to take Rens' strong criticism on board: has an ancient source applied different/unique cosmological events to the same mythical character? Have they invented new mythical characters for new events? Have they employed a combination of both, that is, carrying over a past mythical character's attribution to new events involving similar (or possibly identical) bodies, as well as inventing new mythical characters? And what kinds of criteria do we need for each source tradition to discern these kinds of things, that is, what are the habitual tendiencies of an individual source tradition (it is wrong, in my view, to generalise for one tradition, and then apply it to another one)?
evcochrane wrote:Earlier this week, I sent JP a Chinese pictograph from 3500 BCE showing a sun-like object in conjunction with a recumbent crescent set atop a mountain-like structure, noting that this pictograph offers a very good illustration of how the polar configuration might have looked during one particularly prominent phase
Image of Chinese "Polar Configuration"

Unfortunately due to bugged forum image code, images can only be linked to an outside host at the moment.

In terms of explanations from auroral displays, so much depends on 1. actual eyewitness accounts of common or energetic auroras up to modern times (such as those noted in On the Origin of Myths, pp. 220-251 - there is no mention of a revolving crescent here, although there is plenty of references to arcs/arches, even multiple layers of them [see Figures 82-84 on pp.360-361]); 2. mythic accounts of extreme auroras of ancient times (I will have to plumb Traditional Cosmology for any references of a revolving 'crescent').

evcochrane

Unread post by evcochrane » Sun May 16, 2021 1:43 am

It is comforting to know that I am not the only one who has trouble uploading images to this Forum. Thanks much to JP for posting this image. As Dave and I have emphasized for well over 30 years now, a picture--or in this case a pictograph--is often worth a thousand words in this line of research. Looking at this image, ancient traditions of a World Mountain associated with the locus of sunrise--a global tradition--suddenly take on a clarity and coherence that is often difficult to visualize while focusing on mythological traditions alone. In this sense, the prehistoric pictographs illuminate the archaic mythological traditions and vice versa.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Sun May 16, 2021 5:02 am

RE CIRCLE-CRESCENT-MOUNTAIN PICTOGRAPH
Ev said: Earlier this week, I sent JP a Chinese pictograph from 3500 BCE showing a sun-like object in conjunction with a recumbent crescent set atop a mountain-like structure, noting that this pictograph offers a very good illustration of how the polar configuration might have looked during one particularly prominent phase (Talbott and I have enumerated a number of distinct phases in the configuration’s history). Perhaps JP and/or Rens would care to tell us how they are going to explain the appearance of the crescent in this image? In the present solar system a lunar crescent cannot assume this position, and yet ancient artworks repeatedly show a crescent in conjunction with the primal “sun.”
JP posted this link for the pictograph: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxcx1gihy7kmh ... a.JPG?dl=0

_It looks like a Circle perched on a recumbant 3-pointed Crescent perched on a 5-pointed Mountain, which last looks like a crown.
QUESTIONS FOR EV
_Is the Circle Venus, the Crescent Saturn, and the Mountain Mars?
_Or is the Circle Mars and the Mountain Venus? I ask, because the Mountain/Crown looks similar to the Hand figure that Venus was said to have formed, which became a Buddhist symbol. If the Mountain is the Polar Column, then I guess it represents Mars, which was said to be often on it.
_What is the dating of 3,500 BC based on?
_Is there a name or label for this pictograph to help locate it?