Prediction: Lunar Helium3 Lacking

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Shelgeyr

Prediction: Lunar Helium3 Lacking

Unread post by Shelgeyr » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 pm

When next we humans go a'prospecting on the Moon, I predict the amount of Helium3 found in the regolith will be far less than currently expected. Further, I predict the mainstream reaction will be to look for a mitigating factor rather than reassess their assumptions.
Shelgeyr
Sometimes I feel like a tiger’s got my leg...

redeye

Re: Prediction: Lunar Helium3 Lacking

Unread post by redeye » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:22 pm

Why will there be less helium 3 in the Lunar regolith than predicted?
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

Shelgeyr

Unread post by Shelgeyr » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:23 pm

I should have fleshed my earlier post a bit... Please forgive the brevity as I am posting from my phone. Also, sorry if this has been addressed before.

My reason for this prediction is that the current quantity expectations are predicated on two things (as far as I understand it): the commonly accepted age of the moon, and the commonly accepted lengths and stages of the solar lifecycle. I believe both to be wrong, ergo predictions based on them will be wrong.
The solar lifecycle (indeed the entire Standard Model of the sun) is not based on EU, and from a Catastrophist point of view I maintain we really don't know how old the moon is.
Shelgeyr

earls

Unread post by earls » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:35 pm

Cool, you're on. I think you may be right about the He3 even if the reasoning is wrong. (Though I have full confidence in EU to deliver. ; )

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, Shelgeyr, but the way I understand your statement, you are saying that the solar lifecycle currently accepted by the mainstream, as well as the entire Standard Model of the Sun are both incorrect.

Am I correct?

If so, I agree with you. Solrey would be the guy to talk to about lunar composition and whatnot- that guy's got game when it comes to understanding electrochemical reactions! ;)

Where ya at, Sol?? :P

Mike H.
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Shelgeyr

Unread post by Shelgeyr » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:32 am

Mike H, Yes you are correct on both counts regarding my view of the solar lifecycle and Standard Model of the Sun. Also, I'd love the input from Solrey you've requested. I have no idea if the lunar samples we've actually retrieved were tested for He3 (if they were then I'm probably way off base) - and in all that I've read the predictions were made based on the criteria I previously listed.

I welcome any/all feedback on this, of course, as I am decidedly NOT the authority on the matter. I just felt like making a prediction that I seriously do believe is true (standard disclaimer: "Not a Prophet"), so I'd be on record prior to the next landing.
Shelgeyr